About

Wednesday 14 May 2008

Balancing on a knife edge

I can't describe to you what the last few days have been like. I've sat here trying to put my finger on ... something which might give you an insight into the end of the wait, but I have very little. In fact, nothing at all, really. The closest I can come is that we've felt completely disjointed and everything going on around us has seemed a bit unreal. I've felt fractured, as though everywhere I look inside myself shows me a different picture. A different version of reality. A different me.

The difficulty of waiting for the result of an IVF cycle is that it's nothing like when you're trying to get pregnant naturally. It's nothing like the usual (normal) waiting to see if your period arrives every month, and wondering if this month is the month. It's different because we saw our embryo. We saw it at five days old, and we saw it there, inside me. It was right there, and I carried it. The question is, did it dig? Was No. 9 strong enough, and inclined to stay? Did he like the view?

The result could, of course, only go one of two ways. Either it would be positive, or it would be negative, and there was nothing we could really do to influence either outcome. We were completely helpless, despite wanting it so much to be positive. No. 9 would stay if he stayed, and if he didn't? Well. We couldn't do any more. Sitting this morning, waiting at the blood place for them to draw the blood sample that would tell us within hours whether No. 9 had stayed or not was like an ending in itself. From that point, there would be no more wondering. It would be done. But, it would be a new beginning too. Whether positive, or negative, we would move on in one direction or the other.

I can't explain to you either what it was like contemplating either of those outcomes. Throughout the cycle, I've had to find strength and determination I never knew I had as we met each obstacle and made it through each step. There was fear and relief in equal measure, and then, once the cycle finished there was lots and lots of fear as we waited.

I can understand how IVF breaks people. I can understand very, very well.

We're not the same people we were six weeks ago. It's not a bad thing, it just is. We've come out the other side stronger, with an increased awareness of each other and what we're capable of - individually and together. We've grown, and we feel as though we've been through something enormous. We have been through something enormous. We've fought the good fight. In many respects, we've brought down Godzilla.

I wondered, and was afraid before IVF, how I might feel at the end, and I sat down and thought about that some more last night, how did I feel? knowing what today was bringing us. Do I feel scarred? Destroyed? Angry? Hurt? Not particularly. I feel like I've achieved something incredible with the greatest of motives, and I feel like I've realised a new level of love. For my husband, my family, my friends and, of course, No. 9.

The pregnancy test was today, and the result is positive.

For those of you that get what this means - HCG today was 518.

For those of you who have no idea - that means No. 9 dug in good. And we'll be waiting for the 8 week scan to make sure there's just one of him!


(Also, I wrote this yesterday - everything except the result, to make sure I meant every word I said about how it's been. It would have been easy to say after a positive result that it'd been a walk in the park. It was anything but, believe me.)

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

SHOT!!! not bad for first go kiddo. superfantastic congratulations on the result.
i don't know how ivf feels - i imagine lonely, heartachey and scarey.
i don't know if my heart would hold out through that process.
i DO know how it feels to have miss staplerhugger in my arms every morning, to hear her giggle, to see andrew fall deeper and deeper in love with her each day . . .
and i will never forget her actual birth.
i am hugging myself with delight to think that you guys are now on your very own, personal and precious path right now.
you have some AMAZING, unique, delicious but terrifying moments ahead of you.
enjoy every second. you have both earned it.

Anonymous said...

What else can I say but CONGRATULATIONS! I am so happy for you!!! Now to stop crying with happiness for you at work!!

Nikki Elisabeth said...

Ah freaking heckkkkkk!

I resisted SO HARD (and believe me, it was tough) to just read the last line before the rest. I'm totally a read-the-last-page-er. But I didn't. And it was worth it.

Congrats guys! Bring on the next red-headed devil child!! :)

Anonymous said...

Congradulations - I knew number 9 would be a winner :)

Anonymous said...

Wooohooooo :)
I am so happy for you guys I am doing a little dance around the room :)
You deserve this!
Yay for your little love potion No.9!

Mel Archer said...

OMG! Congratulations!!!!!!!! Yay for No. 9!!!!

Anonymous said...

stapler/s in post once we know how many to send. hee hee hee . . .
bring on the cousins!

Anonymous said...

Honey, you deserve this more than anyone I know, in fact, probably more than even you know. You and Al are going to make THE best parents, and I feel honored to have been able to share your journey so far. Will be eagerly watching this space to find out if you're needing any tips on twins - that hCG is rocking!

Anonymous said...

There are no words to describe how happy I am for you -- and how privileged I feel to have had an insight, however small, into your journey to this day. Your openness and willingness to share this experience with other people is so incredibly generous of you, and I know it's touched more hearts and lives than just mine. No9 is so blessed to have you for a mum, as your giving heart will definitely be a gift to his little life. Congratulations and big, huge, giant, massive, astronomical hugs! (And keep us posted on this part of the journey -- it's really only just begun, you know!)

Anonymous said...

reSULT!!

So unbelievably happy for you both, sweetness! You deserve it.

xdp

Simonne said...

Yippeeee! I'm so excited people actually read my blog!! ;-)

Although, any more twin jokes and I'm never talking to any of you ever again.

On the bright side - I did manage to get a boiled egg into No. 9 this morning before the morning sickness kicked in. Bless his little anti-digestive socks.

Tanya&Andrew said...

WOW!!!! CONGRATULATIONS!!! im so happy for you and to think i was meant to be doing this before you, thankyou so much for sharing your experience it has made it more clear to me what a massive journey me and mr grumbles have got ahead of us, i think your strength will get me through. you will make the best mummy and daddy and i hope you continue to blog your journey. big hugs to you 3 (or 4) :)

Unknown said...

Thats fantastic news hun im so very very happy for you :D I cant wait to see your scans of No 9 aswell :) Congrats :D

Anonymous said...

Oh wow! Yay! Wonderful news. Even though I don't know you except through OhBaby and your blog, I was hoping with everything in me that you'd get this result. You so SO deserve it. And unbelievably, I was crying happy tears for you by the time I got to the bottom of that post. I NEVER do that. You are one amazing little family.

Anonymous said...

OMG, OMG...I don't even know you in real life and I'm sitting here (at work) crying at my computer! You lil' ripper No. 9!! And massive congrats to Mum and Dad to-be.
Exx

Anonymous said...

ya big noodle. of COURSE people read your blog, but just not always with a comment . . . the idea of you and al being parents is sooooo gawgus, and we want it to happen STAT.

now that number nine is in residence - BOOOOOH YEEEAAAAH - we are gonna want every gory detail.

and, if you had a hit counter you would have been amazed with how many times people were checking in to see what the little pooper was doing.

how is the nervous energy now you have to wait 8 weeks til the foetus counting begins? (in retrospect, should you have gone with number nine? it does suggest that the other digits are yet to come???)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations :-)

Bug's Mom said...

I want to thank you for being so candid. We are looking into IVF as a possibility for us. I love your blog BTW. I am all the way in Georgia in the US and find your blog quite lovely. BTW the Kiddo is beautiful that hair alone is enough to make you go smiley. Thank you I know that my fears are real and others have felt them also. Thank you again for sharing.