About

Tuesday 14 August 2012

The Raumati Social Club opens its doors tomorrow. This makes me very happy.

I have brunch plans. I'll take photos.  I'm going to miss the coffee cart, but the local paper informs me that they've installed a roll up window so they'll be able to serve coffee straight out onto the street.  I can cope with that in lieu of the cart.  And I have photos to remind me of it, so I'll be ok (sniff).  (and I think the window is the old front door which is very cool ... I'm sure I read that.)

I picked up coffee on Saturday (and the best lemon tart I think I've ever had in my life by the way - it was so awesome my mouth actually hurt for a while afterward.  What a cafe does with a lemon anything is important to me.  It's really is, because bad lemon anything is very bad indeed in my opinion.  A bad lemon something can write off coffee awesomeness.  That's how much I value my lemon whatevers. I don't even care if the lemon things are made on site - they just have to be good. I rate the ability to choose and provide excellent lemon things just as highly as making them. It's a thing.  A weird thing, sure, but still a thing) and was amazed to see a delivery of a couple of crates of milk arrive.  Actually, to be honest, I started laughing after a moment of stunned silence and gawping ... which possibly made me look a bit unhinged, but that's neither here nor there (maybe it just looked like I really needed my coffee, because when I got it, it was exceptional).  I'm sure it was a couple of crates (we're back to the milk - sorry.  Me and my brackets will, I fear, always get out of hand. Maybe it's the coffee - this post reads a bit like I 've just been crunching beans straight out of the bag). It may have only been one, I've been trying to recall the memory accurately the last couple of days and just can't be certain, but even if it was only one that still seems impressive in my humble coffee-loving opinion. Here's a place that hasn't even opened yet, up to their eyeballs in construction, in a wee community, running a coffee cart that they banged up out of recycled materials and they're selling enough coffee for milk to be coming in by the crate. That's awesome right there, that is.  Hats off.

Part of the fun has definitely been the mystery. I saw legs (of the table variety. I saw people ones too, but that's hardly a coup) on Saturday, and part of some form of seating ... I think ... but otherwise I've been faithfully driving past on my way to whereever, whenever I can (and when I say 'on my way' I must admit that that could potentially mean on my way to driving the car back up the drive after driving it out and over to Raumati South. Heh.) and I've seen zip which, it's fair to say, has driven me a bit nutty, but I think I'll miss it a little anyway.  They did leave me with one little gift today though. Post kindy-run I went in search of coffee happiness (and a lemon tart) only to find the cart absent (sob!) and a sign instead saying something along the lines of the coffee cart being closed because they had too much work to do getting ready for opening. Fair enough. It's the day before opening. I can most certainly cope. The thing is though, on that sign, which appeared to have been painted up by one hand, the word 'work' was stuck on, painted or written on another material, possibly by another hand. What I want to know is, did it originally say 'shit' under that 'work'?  (and now I'm having a milk-crate moment, wondering if it was 'work' - you get the idea though) Because if it did, I love that cafe just that little bit more, and it seemed like the kind of sign that someone would've made, and someone else would've come along and told them that they couldn't put up like that. Even if it didn't say that, maybe I'll just pretend it did because that would've been an awesome sign.

See you tomorrow guys.  Sleep well.  And I'm going to make you hard-poach my eggs if there are eggs on the menu.  Sorry about that.

No comments: