About

Saturday 23 February 2013

Fruity Anzac biscuits - BAM!

Nailed them!  Thank heaven for that.

I'm not a huge fan of either fruity or Anzac biscuits, but I'm busting for afternoon tea so I can have another.  They. Are. Yum.  I think that these biscuits also mark the first time I've actually used the word delightful in its proper context.  More usually I'd say, describe my little people as such, meaning the exact opposite.  It's the figs that do it.  I'm having my first Anzac bicky, fresh out of the oven and thinking noms, these are amazeballs, I'm so glad they're huge* ... and then I get fig.  In particular, an extra happy layer of texture that came from the fig seeds right at the end, after getting through oats, coconut, fruit and sunflower seeds and already thinking they're great.  I really was delighted.  Wide eyed surprise and all.  Mock me if you like, but my bickies are awesome so I don't care.

And that's the other side of the Global Baker project-coin.  I want to push myself to not only make different things, but try different things.  As I said, I was generally a fan of neither aspect of this recipe - fruit in bickies, or Anzacs - but I love this recipe, and will definitely make it again.  Had it not been part of the project, I don't know if I would've tried it at all and I probably would've missed out on something really good.

(Also, can we pretend that the below bicky is sitting on a Crown Lynn saucer, probably from the Tam'o'shanter set, which would also cleverly hark back to the celtic roots of oat cakes in general, rather than on baking paper?  Ta.  Appreciate it.  Am far too lazy)




* One bicky is one bicky, big or small - that's the rules according to me (and possibly why a lot of bickies in this house look a bit like they've been on the 'roids) ... unless I'm at Jess' and she's made double chocolate happinesses (they have a proper name, but that one works for me) because they are so much like flat brownies, I feel very strongly that you can have four of them before they roughly equate to a single normal height brownie. Your confidence doesn't really start to waiver until you're halfway through your second one (brownie, that is ... or bicky no. 6 for people with no sense of fun).

No comments: