About

Tuesday 28 May 2013

Boulcott Street Bistro

A few weeks ago, we went here for dinner and it was amazeballs.  It's a gorgeous little place (that we will be going back to), made even more so on our first visit by the warm yellow light glowing up the path, welcoming us through the door on a miserable early winter night. 



Friends gave us a voucher as a thank you and it was such a perfect thing.  Firstly, we didn't expect it, so that was a gift all by itself (and we love food), but the dinner .... oh, the dinner!  The dinner was sooo good.  I can probably link their menu if I haven't forgotten how to work this thing completely .... here you go! I hope.

There were two serious highlights to the night - divine lamb shanks and crazy good pork belly entre aside, the green beans with basil butter reduced me from intelligent (sort of) conversation to one continuing yummy noise pretty much until they were gone.  I also may or may not have ended up eating them directly out of the dish they came to the table in, instead of putting them politely on my plate first.  And then there was Al's dessert which killed me.  It. Had. Candy. Floss. On. Top !!  Possibly I shouldn't have been as thrilled about this as I was, but I totally was.  The steamed chocolate pudding was so bitter it was as though it'd barely been broken down from the original chocolate (which is a very good thing).  That was my take anyway, on coming up for air from my creme brulee.  Imagine Homer Simpson making drool noises.  There you go.




We were a bit unsure about the inability to make dinner reservations since it's in the city and we're on the Coast (ergo, driving an hour to find we couldn't get a table would've given us a very big sad indeed), so we headed in early giving ourselves plenty of time in case we needed to wait for a table to be free.  We didn't, which was awesome, although it did mean we were done by about 7.30pm.  Woops.  Nothing like standing outside the restaurant at 7.30pm feeling just a wee bit silly that we were heading home, probably to have a cuppa and be in bed by a reasonable hour (sorry Boulcott Street Bistro, but your coffee was truly horrible.  I'm not even convinced there was actually coffee in my coffee.  I did order a decaf though which probably did deserve a level of punishment, but I was given to wonder if it wasn't decaffed by leaving all traces of coffee out (I know decaffed isn't a word.  At least I don't think it is.  Maybe it is.  It should be though - it's a good word)  (Oh.  Decafeinated is also a good word.  That's embarrassing) ).

So, focus.  Neither of us were ready to be going home, but headed there anyway because neither of us also wanted to find somewhere else to go.  And there's always a big risk that the place you go (unless you know where you're going) won't be as good as the place you've been, and it'll take the awesome edge off the night.  So, home we headed.  And made it as far as the Raumati Social Club.  HA!  The husband felt like a beer, and I felt like erasing the terrible memory of my earlier coffee.  Bada Boom.  We drove past on the off-chance and hastily grabbed a park where there wasn't really a park.  I'd forgotten but the Kapiti Musical Festival was on and the Social Club was one of the venues so it was well open and we were able to slouch down into warm jackets at a table outside on the sidewalk.  I got coffee that made everything alright again, the husband had beer, we caught up with new friends and we got to sit out of the rain but with front row seats to watch it come down as the streetlights shone through and  people wandered backwards and forwards across the road between our cafe and the one over the road.

The coffee that made everthing alright again.


This was pretty much our view for about two hours, as the rain came down and tunes played behind us, and it was brilliant.


No comments: