About

Wednesday 19 December 2007

Ginger - Kitty Rescuer

The husband, bless him, didn't even bat an eyelid when, after leaving the house with 2 dogs for a walk at the park on Monday afternoon, I arrived home post-walk with 2 dogs and 2 kittens.

Ahem.

It makes a change at least to the husband arriving home with an extra dog (this was my first kitten collection - he's come home from walking the dogs with an extra one three times!).

Poor little (gorgeous black fluffy) kitties were on their own at the park, and they were too teeny tiny (about 4 weeks old) to be ok on their own, so I took them home and phoned the SPCA (Funnily enough, I wasn't allowed to keep them. It seems that after being talked into 1 kitty and 2 puppies already, the husband was not to be broken a fourth and fifth time) who came and collected them straight away and took them through to a vet for special care.

I absolutely adore our dogs for the way they behaved at the park - Jack for protecting the kitties and flushing the area to make sure there weren't any more and Jess for circling the wider area to make Jack's self-designated job as chief kitty-protector easier, while I tried to work out how to get both dogs and the kittens out of the park with only two hands (Apologies to the other park walkers who saw waaaay more of my flubby tummy than they probably wanted to after I bundled the kitties up in my t-shirt to carry them out. Thank goodness I was wearing a t-shirt baggy enough that I could tie them up in that to secure them and still remain largely clothed). I did make absolutely sure that there was no mother cat before I took them though - I sent both dogs in to the surrounding bush but the only scent was the kittens'. Also, had there been a mother cat, I'm certain she would have been there protecting her babies.

Yay for the SPCA too. Spare them a thought at the moment while their job is especially full-on and they are doing their absolute best.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

SPCA rock! I used to volunteer out this and this time period sucks! Often there will be stuff all left animal wise before the holidays/Christmas but come new year they all get dumped! Makes me so angry!! Yay ginger kitty rescuer! Think you should have been allowed to keep them though...we just got our fourth! (see my OB post) :o)