About

Wednesday 21 February 2007

Free to a good home - 1x Husband

OK, so at the start of every season, I turf everything out of my wardrobe, take a good look at what I have, what I need to replace or want to update, or what I haven't worn for a year that I can recycle. And then I make a list of wants and needs and run it past Al. I try to be good, but ....well. Ahem. So, he's pretty well used to me not sticking to the list, and he hardly ever tells me off. Usually he just raises his eyebrows if I've amassed about 10 black cardi's (sp?) or something that all look the same to him ...then he gets sat down, and I explain to him in intricate detail why they are completely different, and then after about an hour of forced examination of the cardi's (again, sp?) he's too terified to say another word and quietly retreats to the couch.

I managed to behave myself very well this summer and just added a few items to last year's stuff (and even got most of the new stuff on sale!). It helps a lot that I started a new job in the second half of last year which is based in the middle of an industrial zone and far far away (in terms of lunch hour amusement) from Newmarket where I used to work. Al was beside himself with joy initially at the thought of my being removed from the shopping district during the working week ...until he realised that I'd built up such a good relationship with one of my favourite stores, that they'd courier stuff to me to play with! Poor boy :-) But, like I said, I did behave myself. Sort of.

I've also been good about my winter list. I made it a couple of weeks ago, found a couple of things to recycle, planned what I wanted and had the list approved. I even found a couple of things in the summer sales (for layering) which I can knock off my list. Wooppee!

Anyway! As a result of said good behaviour over summer, and good behaviour so far for winter, I'm sort of on good behaviour credit at the moment. Soooo ...when I saw the most gorgeous handbag in my favourite store's winter preview I fell madly and completely in love, and ordered one (which Al knew about ...he sort of assumed that the endless badgering was leading up to something. I work on the theory that if I badger him endlessly about something, by the time it eventuates (eg. I buy the item in question), he's so relieved that the badgering is over, he doesn't care what it costs! Usually.). The only problem with the handbag was that it hadn't been priced when I ordered it.

Yesterday, the price was released! Eek!

The 'releasing the information to the husband' conversation went like this:



Him "How's your day been?"

Me "Today has been a bad day. A very bad day."

Him "Why's that?"

Me "My handbag has just been priced..." (Obviously, there are real tragedies in my world ...none of this orphans starving in Africa or whatever crap for me!)

Him "Yeah? How much?"

Me "Heaps"

Him "That's not telling me how much. How much?"

Me "$350.00"

Him [Not sounding particularly surprised or shocked] "Oh. OK."

Me [Sounding particularly surprised and shocked] "What? What? You don't sound shocked ...You should be shocked!"

Him "Well, you've bought handbags for more than a couple of hundred before ..."

Me "Yeah ...but ..."

Him "Sooooo ....this sexual favours thing ....."

Oh for goodness sake!!

No comments: