About

Friday 16 March 2007

I'm so proud!

I've been despairing of Al.

I have explained and explained to him the spending justification system, how it works and how you can make it work if you're struggling a bit (trust me ...square peg? round hole? it'll fit, you just have to be desperate enough), and he's been making no effort at all to take it on board.

For example, the other day, he told me that he wanted to buy an MP3 player which was going to cost $400.00.

Straight off the bat, he broke the golden rule - it is easier to ask forgiveness than permission.

He almost saved himself a lengthy re-explanation of the system when he began the next sentence with "And it's completely justified!".

I'll admit, I was curious. Very curious. How was he going to do it? I am the master and he is my pupil ...I was hoping he'd make me proud.

He says, "I've got 2 days over time which will completely pay for it."

For pete's sake. Actually paying for the purchase with actual money works completely against the principles of the system, and in fact eliminates the need for the system entirely.

And then it happened.

Just a small step, but a step nonetheless, and my heart burst with joy.

He phoned me yesterday afternoon while I was still at work ...

Him "I had an accident and I slipped."

Yes, most of you would be alarmed and be envisaging broken limbs or lots of blood or a couple of missing fingers or something, but me? This was music to my ears! This is my line when I've bought something, or several somethings when I shouldn't have. He even had the fake-sheepish tone of voice thing going on. Bless.

Me "How much of a slip?"

Him "$515.00"

Not too bad an effort for him.

Me "Ok ...how much exactly?"

Him "I don't know. $514 and something. Do you really want to know the cents?"

I love they way he says the last bit like I'm a certifiable lunatic. Of course I want to know ...this is so I can balance the VISA and check it off his statement (we have a joint VISA, but it becomes his as soon as the bill arrives).

Him (rummages about looking for the receipt) "Hang on .....$514.00 exactly! No cents."

Me "OK"

Him "Hey! We saved a dollar!!"

And that, my friends, is what we call progress.

No comments: