About

Thursday 28 August 2014

Paris Letters

I've been trying to make some quiet time in each day to clear my head of the rush of every day life, and for me that's usually either writing, or reading. 

I wish I could give you a gorgeous story about how I came across these, but the honest truth?  I read it in a magazine (it does get a bit cooler though as soon as your brain clocks that that's a line out of Bennie and the Jets, adn you start singing it in your head) that randomly appeared in my life, that was on its way to the recycling pile when I stopped to read about a jeans manufacturer.  And there, tucked in amongst Blondie, sneakers and some really edgy fashion, were  Paris letters.  I think it may have actually been a piece about the book (the story behind the letters), but it got me, anyway.

(Also, FYI, I'll pick anything up to read about a jeans manufacturer.  Jeans fascinate me ... mostly because trying to find a perfectly fitting design that you love is a complete sod and they're top of my list of hideous-to-shop-for things.  Ergo, it's the proverbial horrible thing about to happen that you can't look away from).

(And yep, I still love my brackets)

Paris Letters is a painted letter service you can subscribe to (here on Etsy).  The original is hand painted, and although subscribers are sent a (hand addressed) copy, they're still a beautiful thing to receive and such a pleasure to just pause and sit down with.  I'm sure there will come a day when I'm seen standing at the mailbox, not even able to make it inside before I have to see what she's painted next, what story she has to tell, but for now, so far, I've managed to wait until a quiet part of the day when I can make a cup of tea (or make the husband make a coffee, because somehow I've managed to still not learn how to use the coffee machine) and just savour them.

I love my Paris letters.

(I also ordered the book, and I loved that too.  And I know, it's about $15.00 a month for the subscription, but I'm happy to forego a couple of coffees out, or still have a coffee and just flag the cake!  I need these quiet times more.  I also usually have a magazine subscription or two running, so I let one of these expire.  I get so much more joy out of my letters)


 

No comments: