About

Friday 1 May 2009

Ground Zero

By far the coolest thing Cuinn has done so for in his wee short life, though he didn't appreciate the significance of it at all, was revisit Fertility Plus and take the nurses and lab people afternoon tea. Chocolate brownies most importantly because that's what we took them the day of egg collection a year ago, and a madeira cake because it's my favourite and oddly, not everyone is a chocolate brownie person so you need to cater for them also (I know. I don't understand it either, but it is what it is). If they're not madeira people either, then they deserve to starve though.

Anyway. It felt huge walking down the corridor with my son in my arms, and to see couples sitting where we had sat a year ago, hoping for the result that we got and have, I felt like the luckiest person in the world. Even if Cuinn did throw up down my neck about 10 seconds later.

We also got to see and spend time with the embryologist who actually made him, and nurtured our other embryos through to freezing and although it was a team effort getting from cycle to embryo transfer, actually introducing him to the person who selected the egg and sperm that resulted in our particular baby who has just worked out how to blow raspberries was just awesome. I could blather half my life and still not nail the words that would accurately express how it felt. Or even give a good indication.

Cuinn also got to have a good cuddle with the nurse who oversaw our cycle who will always be special to us, and make gorgeous eyes at all the other nurses on the floor who came into the room to see him, and a second lab person.

And, to the very elderly gentleman who was sitting in the main foyer of the hospital, who watched me stop and kiss the top of Cuinn's head just because I could and then said to me "Look after him. And love him." - I will. I promise.

5 comments:

KA said...

OMG that totally made me tear up....how truly awesome!

ruth said...

oh man, you just made me cry!
so sweet.
and, sigh, the oddly appropriate word verification thing is kicking in again - coussen - (seeing as how i am his cousin's mother and all)

ruth said...

oh and btw, he is BEAUTIFUL. but you already knew that. delicious and gorgeous and good enough to eat on toast with extra maple syrup.
eek.
clucky.
oops.

must.slap.myself.now.

caraMel said...

Good grief woman, you made me cry too!
I can't imagine how emotional it must have been to go back to where he started with him there in you arms.
How absolutely awesome and amazing.
Those pics have got me growing feathers. Neck vomits and all, he is so gorgeous!

Mel said...

What a nice old man to say that to you! You've done so well girl and you have the cutest boy in the world to show for it (ok apart from Cooper)...