About

Tuesday 11 June 2013

Apricot brioche breakfast plait. Boom.

I made dough and it rose, Amen.

Not only that, it rose with both rises (Ha! That's a horrible sentence to read, but it made me giggle so it gets to stay).  Having not experienced dough rising properly before (or at all really, if I'm going to be completely honest about it) it was such a nice feeling knocking it back the first time (I think my actual words were 'Oooh! That feels kinda sexy!' and the husband proceeded to bend double, wee himself a little and then choke half to death laughing). 

It took a while (the rising, if you're still stuck on the sexy dough and/or the husband's choking which also took a while).  Global Baker indicated it should take about an hour.  It took about four.  The husband took his supervisory role very serious though, swatting at me every time I stood there glaring at it in its state of it's-not-rising-ness (and maybe wailing a little bit) and ordered patience, of which I have none, especially with so many dough related failures under my belt to date.

But ...

The bit where it looks good, a stage after the first rise, but I'm still holding my breath because dough hates me.


The. Bit. Where. It. RISES !!!  (cue happy-dance)


The bit right before two-thirds of it disappears (where I'm still doing a happy dance, and I don't realise that I caught the arse of it slightly during baking.  I felt a bit stabby when I discovered that.  Honestly!  I put so much hope, prayer and muscle (relative to my lack of muscle) into working the dough, barely breathed through both rises, managed to get it to the place where all is well and people actually observed me doing a happy dance. Thankfully it was only little people who possibly just thought I'd stood on a lego or something, but still.  And then.  Then, I catch the arse of it.  Of course I could probably have kept that to myself and you'd be none the wiser, but why stop sharing now, hey?  We've been through worse)


And now, I feel as though, to celebrate my actually keeping up with the blogging and the project, we need a new, more baking-focussed look around here, so I'm off to play with my layout.

Oh, but!  Before I do ...

I couldn't help myself even a little bit and this arrived yesterday.  It had to be done.  I mean, hello.  Donuts!

4 comments:

Nikki Elisabeth said...

Freaking nom.

caraMel said...

Oh my good lord that looks Amaze.
I had to capitalise amaze because I am actually drooling a little and lower case didn't carry that across.

caraMel said...

Yaaaay for swiyching to android and being able to comment again!

MummyFreckle said...

Oh my - I am sooooo impressed. Dough hates me too.

(BTW just because I think its funny - the words I had to type to prove I am not a robot today are "poopin" and "was" )