About

Monday 24 June 2013

Soup for the soul

The husband is starting to laugh at me and my food obsession.  He likes food too (a lot) but he thinks it's funny that I've started taking photos of mine.  Not that I'm taking photos of all my food (unless you particularly want to see a fuzzy shot of marmite on vogels tomorrow? No, I thought not), just the stuff that really makes me drool, or is something new and worth talking about (in my opinion).  Also, he's mocking the actual photos since I couldn't (can't?) take a decent picture to save my life.  I have a goal to get a decent camera and take excellent photos of food and I've warned him that at some stage he'll be doing overtime to fund my weirdness (he seemed fairly accepting of this, although I have a suspicion it's because he's planning to use it to justify a new coffee grinder).

Anyway, a couple of nights ago, I had the most delicious Thai soup*.  Usually (by which I mean always) I order a red curry with chicken, but I'm getting into the swing of this and I really love soup, so I took a leap of faith and ordered a Gaeng Jued Woon Sen - a clear vegetable soup with chicken and vermicelli.  Amaze.  I've never had Thai soup before, and I have no idea why.  You'll probably never talk me back into a curry to be honest.

And I'm going to show you my picture even though the husband, full of support for my endeavours saw my photo and laughed "It looks like spew! Look! There're the carrots!" and snorted away into his Phad Thai.  (I really don't think you can talk about food without including pictures of food.  It's all wrong.  Even bad pictures are better than no pictures, and it totally doesn't look like spew.  Much.)


(Also, I'm trying not to show you that I was super classy and ate it straight out of the container.  Mostly I was just starving, but we don't really have any soup bowls.  Obviously, I've added deep soup bowls on my list of current wants.  These actually in a large size.  There are a few different designs, but I think this is my favourite.  We have a dwindling selection of Crown Lynn bowls, but they're really shallow and soups get cold quickly in them.  Yuck.  Unless soup is supposed to be cold, soup is not supposed to be cold.)

You have no idea how much I want to go and have this again for dinner as soon as possible, except order a double portion.  Next time I will (it's mostly water and veges anyway so I consider it possibly weird, but technically not excessive).  The other night I ordered a roti to go with, but that was a big mistake and I really, really wished I'd paid a couple of extra dollars, skipped the roti and had a double portion of soup.  It was such a beautiful, fresh soup, the roti was heavy to have with and follow it and wiped out a lot of the happiness.  Bad roti!

Back to the soup though because we're not finishing with a roti again ... Yuuum.


*  We've had a reasonably significant work-related curve-ball thrown into our routine in the last couple of weeks, so there was a bit of takeaway consumption in our house.  I really should've taken pictures of the pizzas a couple of nights before - Armenian Street Bread (Lebanese bread, lamb mince, cottage cheese, fresh flat-leaf parsley and chopped chilli) and a pork belly pizza (all you really need to focus on is the pork belly.  All the goodness!).

No comments: