About

Wednesday 5 June 2013

New cabinet love!

It took us nearly a year to find a cabinet for the lounge.  In the end, after hashing over just about every idea we could think of (both cabinety and not even remotely cabinety because we got annoyed with the cabinets, and including designing something ourselves and having it quoted on by a cabinet maker), it was a Facebook post from a page I follow that took us to Zinc+ in Wellington.  It's a big departure from the style of our old furniture but it suits the beach house and the beach house loves it right back so, excitement! (plus, it hides all of our crap, of which there is much)

I think you're going to just have to trust me that it's awesome and looks brilliant, because this pic is horrible.  To give you an idea of how far off the colour is - our carpet in reality is black (underneath all the dog hair and kid crumbs it is, anyway.  Five minutes after I vacuum on any given day, you'd be forgiven for not having a clue).  You also can't even begin to imagine how I twitched when I loaded this, the best of about 20 shots taken over a couple of days, but also the only one with a bright green plastic cup sitting behind the TV (yes, I am that person).  The industrial filing-cabinet-esque-ness of it reminds me that I'm a total geek, but I just don't care. 


For ages I was convinced I'd be able to talk the husband into a You2 entertainment unit (if I kept the price tag in a death grip and varied the budget consequences slightly (a lot) from reality) and I nearly, very nearly had him (after about 8 months of trying), when Zinc+ came to his rescue.  Seriously, so much love!  Extra love because we were able to have it custom made to our measurements and powder-coated any colour from a large range.  (and nevermind about the entertainment unit - I still have this floating desk up my sleeve!)

It was a weird moment moving in here and realising that none of our stuff worked. It was too wooden and way too dark and heavy. A year later, it's definitely starting to look like a rainbow threw up in the living area. Cheery! I do love mid-century design though, so we've generally just keep hunting around to find modern design with echoes of that period and so far we've come across the right thing eventually. Our kitchen table we spotted on The Block NZ. Heh.

And, because this is me we're talking about and because I seem to be perfectly incapable of leaving some stores without collecting extras, I may also have gone a wee bit weak at the knees over a Gerty Brown Trading cushion ... (I'm claiming an enchanted frog that put a spell on me.  Don't look him in the eyes, whatever you do)

1 comment:

Esther said...

ADORE the cabinet! We too are into a multi year hunt for two furniture items...I *know* the right thing will turn up....eventually.