About

Friday 21 June 2013

Click, and a lightbulb comes on

I was watching Hottest Home Baker last night, because ... Well, it's a bit obvious really, isn't it?

They were doing brioche and pastry (dough, people - dough!) and "Ah HA!" says I, paying attention with great interest (and praying that our power would hold out against the storm raging outside), "This could be helpful ...".  And helpful it most certainly was.

Someone's dough doesn't rise (welcome to my world, Hottest Home Baker contestant.  Welcome to my world), Dean tells them why it didn't rise, and do you know what?  I literally tore out a bit of hair.  There were actual strands in my hands.

I've been using dried active yeast (not an error in itself).  It could well be that this is one of those things that everyone knows (except me), but is probably the biggest lesson I've learned so far and may well (it'd better) change the course of my Global Baker experience (much less likely to slit my wrists now I think).  Active yeast is encapsulated and needs to be broken down to activate it.  Insert four-letter word here.  ('Argh' - and yes, that is actually what I said.  At something of a reasonable volume, while grabbing a fist full of hair and nearly rolling off the couch in hysterics.  Not to be over-dramatic or anything in this moment of knowledge gaining).

I haven't been activating my yeast. 

Sooo ... bugger.

It bodes well for my hot cross buns though.  And kind of makes me wonder how I managed a half-decent brioche. 

Skills.  Must be.

On a totally different topic, the day after the massive storm hit Wellington (and pretty much while it was still doing its thing), I thought it would be a genius idea to take the dog down to the beach for his walk.  He looks like he's holding onto the sand because I'm pretty sure he is.  Walking up the beach was brilliant - all his sticks threw themselves.  Win!  Walking back was a little more challenging (nearly impossible) and done mostly in the dunes (don't tell Council) for a level of shelter from flying sand and insane winds. 

It goes down as one of my favourite dog walks ever - so crazy and freezing and it's not often that there is no one around.  No cars, no boats, no people, zip (good reason for that, mind).  Lucky I've had all that baking to weigh me down.  Heh.  The poor dog though spent a fair amount of time running sideways into the dunes.



No comments: