About

Friday 30 November 2007

The hazards of redecorating

The husband is stripping wallpaper remnants off the pelmets in the lounge, and there is much swearing going on (pelmets are evil to strip) so I retreat outside to hang the washing out.

The next thing there is a loud bang from inside the house.

Obviously I finish hanging out the washing. Very concerned and caring wife, I know, but honestly from experience I know that if the husband had hurt himself the bang would have been followed by a whump and/or yell or some such similar injured-husband sound. So, I'm assuming that it's the house that's injured, in which case, I'd rather delay establishing the seriousness of the injury.

On taking the empty washing basket back inside, I opt to yell from the other end of the house (the husband hates when I yell from the other end of the house, but sometimes it's best to be away from the eye of the storm until you know what's going on) ...

Me "Did you break something?"

Him "Yip"

(He's completely calm, which doesn't really equate with the husband having broken something)

Me ( *sniff* *sniff*) "Can I smell burning?"

Him "Yip"

(Obviously now I'm curious ... and once I make it to the lounge, I see that there is a power point hanging off the wall)

Me "Did you blow that up?"

Him "Yip" and I swear, he sounded really pleased with himself.

(This is, after all, a man who removed the safety guards from an electric fly swat to maximise carnage, and is able to assure me that yes, it really does hurt when you touch it ...)

Apparently it added a little bit of interesting to the wallpaper stripping ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well really the electric fly swat don't hurt that much when you touch them....unless there are new batteries of course.......ahem.

Anonymous said...

how on earth... actually, I don't think I want to know