About

Friday 31 October 2008

I'll have to work on this telling-a-head-from-a-butt thing

It'll come in handy, methinks, when it comes to working out how to stick a nappy on.

80% of babies by this stage are head down, so I was thinking that the roundy solid thing poking out with great regularity below my ribs was his butt, and was feeling very pleased with myself when I trotted off to the obstetrician on Wednesday. However, this is, of course, our child, and statistics supporting any norm be damned, the little demon is cheerfully breech and the roundy solid thing is his noggin. His large noggin. In fact, the exact words of the obstetrician, after he asked who ate all the pies (yes, he did) were "That's a big noggin" as he measured away, and the husband stifled a snort while I groaned. Although it may not be an issue when push comes to shove, or, rather, doesn't (here's hoping). There may be fittage issues vis a vis a kiddly head and a mummy pelvis, in which case, I have been given a pre-emptive 'our priority is to ensure a safe delivery of baby, the health of the mother, and we will do what is best when it comes to the birth' which really was quite unnecessary ... they could put two sunroofs in for all I care at the moment. That head looked big even to my untrained eye.

Anyway, we'll see.

We're otherwise healthy as a horse - some of us more horse like than others of course, although it's a competition between me and Cuinn as to who is growing faster. He's up to 2lb 11oz (1214 grams), so he's doubled in size, and apparently the general rule of thumb is that between now and his due date he should triple that. And by 'general rule of thumb' I'd say that by the veiled smirk on my obstetrician's face, the fact that we've bucked the trend from day one with the little demon, one should probably just rely on the kiddly likely being enormous. Excellent.

Next visit to the obstetrician = last 4 week visit to the obstetrician.

Also, just as an aside, I'm wondering if it's entirely appropriate that my concern at this point with the possibility of a c-section is that I won't be transferred to Birthcare afterwards, but will have to kick back at Auckland Hospital. Ergo, I doubt there will be creme brulee. Very uncool.

Oh, and different topic altogether. Ack. Halloween is tonight. I think. There seem to be an inordinate amount of pumpkins and cobwebs about which tends to suggest. And that means that there will be countless numbers of little kids flooding the neighbourhood, not wearing even a hint of a costume, making for our front door to ask for lollies. In lieu of a sign telling them to go away because they usually ignore that anyway, I've just not fed the dogs. That should ensure ... well, not peace and quiet by any stretch (have you ever heard our dogs tell us we have visitors? It's the anti-peace and quiet I can assure you), but at least the only sightings of little kids not wearing a hint of a costume will be them running back down the path as fast as their little legs will carry them, having made it only part way to the door.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

go for the treat thing - offer them one of your home-made 'liver dog snacks' - well, they are legitimately treats aren't they???
ms a is preparing for descent of g people tonight, practising couch climbing and the like in case they look like they need more entertainment . . .
should you be thinking of changing cuinn's middle name to lardlan rather than the extant one?

Anonymous said...

I like the dog idea....don't suppose you could spare one for the aforementioned running off of little costumeless kids??? I would send our cats out but hell they're on the kids side begging for food!!

Anonymous said...

AAAAALLLLLL RIGGGGHHHT . . . now that's what i'm talking about!!!

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24583959-954,00.html

don't get all carried away now, but you know cuinn needs this!

Emma said...

if it makes you feel any better - I couldnt tell head from butt either... in the scans and even when I knew for sure that he was head down!

Anonymous said...

i suspect that cuinn is not the only one sleeping lots at present! how are thee all? growing and growing and growing i hope.
xxx