About

Tuesday 13 January 2009

Soooo ... maybe we overdid it on the zucchini

It turns out they grow a bit bigger and a tad prolifically than I remembered ... but, zucchini explosion aside (and actually, we are managing to eat our way through them), there's something quite satisfying in knowing that the vege garden has already paid for itself, and the veges are soooo good, and absolutely organic (I think), and I'm really proud of them even though I didn't do any of the work. And, nevermind that they're so big you can't see the weeds inbetween which is probably the biggest bonus of all ...


Mutant koru zucchini. Hehe.

Perfectly normal zucchini and marrow. We picked a marrow the other night (the husband stuffed half with red onion and cheese and the other half with tomatoe and cheese ... Mmmmmm!) which was 1.5kg. Nice!

Silverbeety goodness and it does taste sooo good - plus we don't have to fork out $4 a bunch at the supermarket and then chuck half of it out a week later! Weeeee! We just pick leaves!


Ditto with the lettuce!! ... or at least it will be ditto with the lettuce ... when one of us has a salad.


Passionfruit which has grown enough that we needed to put the wire up so it can do its viney thing.


I think the corn and 'matoes are a little way off producing still, but I can't wait till they start spitting out edibles as well! It's almost a little bit hard not to mark their height progress off on the fence ... so proud.

Next step - planning winter veges!!

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

um, slap me if i am wrong, but i think there is something in your soil, or maybe in the air around your house - i mean, your veges are stupendous, and then there is your lardobaby . . . a connection there somewhere?

Simonne said...

Heh. Al cooks the dinner that makes the kiddly grow (and as an act of self-preservation), and I don't go near the garden or else everything shrivels up. I think that's probably the connection! :-)

Anonymous said...

nope. otherwise cuinn would be teeny weeny . . . miniscule even!

Anonymous said...

Haha, maybe some kind of dubious experimental chemical dump back in the 50's or something?
Wow, I am in serious awe of your garden-y efforts!
I was patting myself on the back for managing not to kill my wee vege attempts this year, which (aside from the insane passionfruit vine, woohoo!) have produced a handful each, at most.
I feel kind of embarrassed now!
Cuinn will be loving all that homegrown goodness and no doubt he'll love 'helping' in years to come too :)

Simonne said...

It could be the worm juice? They went a bit spastic after dousing them in that ... (Mel - remind me when we catch up to give you worm juice!! It's absolutely magical!! We got a little worm farm thinking that Cuinn will love playing with the disgusting little wigglers in due course, but of course, in the meantime they deal with our scraps AND give us fertilisery goodness! Yay! and the husband deals with them - yeck)

Of course, it could just as easily be planting the corn and tomatoes by an asbestos fence and we're going to save a fortune on groceries for a year and then die :-)

Anonymous said...

Right that's it...I'm off to gather worm juice....I'm in awe of your garden!!

Anonymous said...

you haven't been drinking worm juice???? eeeeeek. seriously, have you had that blimmen baby yet?

Anonymous said...

what about today? is he here yet?
luckily amelia is not aware of the imminent event, or my life would be hell. she is not really what you would call, er, patient. anyone you know that has a huge impatience gene?

Simonne said...

Apparently Cuinn, but I think he gets that from his father.

No baby dammit, and although I thought I had a whopping contraction yesterday, it was completely isolated dammit. Although I suspect that he may have engaged or be making his way towards it as things definitely feel different and as I was huddled over my swiss ball last night, I realised that I could get a lot further up it than I could the night before so ... dunno. I shifted my wax appointment to today just in case :-) (a few extra days of hairy legs at the other end is fine, but no way do I want to start out not needing pants for winter!) but methinks the little sod is going to hold out for either eviction or the weekend, when my OB is NOT on call. Bless!

Anonymous said...

Oooh progress at least. Go Cuinn! You can do it little buddy!
Worm wees, yes please if you've got some going spare!
My Mum swears by that stuff as fertiliser but she went and moved herself all the way to Paparoa so I no longer have a ready supply.

Anonymous said...

OF COURSE THE LITTLE POOP WILL ARRIVE WHEN THE OB IS NOT ON CALL . . . why didn't we think of that?

if you feel as tho you have something the size of a coconut between your upper thighs, and you have to walk like a bandy legged sailor, otherwise the baby will fall out - then he is MOOOOOVING . . .

YAAAAAAAAAAAY - go cuinn go!

Anonymous said...

oh yeah, the feeling that something is lodged where it oughtn't really be lodged is exactly right - think melon sized head blocking all exit holes belonging to the lower regions . . . which, in effect, it is . . . i would like a word with the designer about the proximity of some bodily parts to others - not comfortable!
that is a gorgeous belly and a half tho!
oh, and we will fly up en famille once the beast is out if amelia and i miss him, so don't even worry about that - it is not worth a thought.
you do know that by this time next week there is a bloody good chance that you wil be holding a tubby little red-faced scrap of humanity in your arms that belongs to you and no-one else (altho al is allowed a look in occasionally) and you will be all officially a mother type person, with curlers and aprons, and who cares about the hairy legs.

wow.