About

Tuesday 9 September 2014

The post with no title

Since we moved to the beach house, my office has been a corner in our open plan living area.  It works more often than it doesn't, but the set up of the desk itself has been a bit average.  Our house is so small (we love small, so don't read anything negative into that) that we have to be a bit clever about using space without taking up space (keeping visual impact to a minimum), which is how we ended up with this, as an interim fix. 

This has been my desk for a couple of years, and to be honest it only really works because I can swing my chair around and work on the end of the kitchen table.  So really, it pretty much stores my crap and my monitor and makes sure we're not eating dinner off my keyboard.  Trying to find a desk to fit the space though without spending a fortune has been really tricky.  I wanted something fairly invisible, and not too big but big enough.  Just about everything would have had to be custom made to some extent, and you know what custom making something means ... $$$$$$$$$$$$ ...

This one was a wee bit disastrous, but still a bit of a laugh - it's a vintage Indonesian school desk that I bought online.  I know, it was a dubious thing to do but in saying that it has held my keyboard and monitor up for a couple of years, fairly successfully.  It's been the butt of a fair few jokes though, because although I asked many questions of the store selling it, and was assured that it was definitely suitable as a good working desk, it's sat here with something jammed under one end of the keyboard because of a dip in the surface, something else under the monitor because of another dip, the legs are hard up against the wall to try and counter a super wobble and I've been working away looking uphill because one end is about 2cm higher than the other.  Heh.  But, it's a story to tell, right? 


(Those cardboard tubes are my Diplomas. Still.  A year and a half later. I'm sure leaning against a wall counts as a step towards actually being on a wall)

Anyway.  We've finally found (and ordered!) a (NZ made) design (that we both like!  Miracles are happening every day all around us, people) that fits in with our more industrial style and the dining table we already have (ply with laminate top and wire legs) and it's only a couple of weeks away, so now I'm distracting my impatience waiting for its arrival with shopping for desk accessories at Father Rabbit.  I heart Father Rabbit.

This one is under orders from the husband.  He thinks my filing system a bit average.  He may be right, but we won't tell him that.  (He's already had one win this week - he denounced my watch pic on a previous blog as boring.  Unbelievable.  And also possibly right)


Pencil box love.  Except I can't actually buy it.  It's just there to display the pencils.  Sad.


Obviously.  To go in the cool pencil box.   



My memory is so crap, it aspires to be like a sieve, so I really, really need this.  And it'd make a nice change from post-it lists everywhere.  I could look all organised and stuff.


I have a thing about cups.  You know this already.  Every desk needs one though, don't you think?


What I should probably be looking for, if you'll refer back to that first picture of my desk, is one of those things that holds wires together.  That's a bit boring though.

No comments: