About

Monday 12 August 2013

Badass banana bread

See this?  (Yes, I know it's not banana bread. Patience)

This is soup.

Italian bean and pasta soup. With about 6 ingredients.

Impossible to screw up, some would say.

Guess what?

I really do not understand how someone who enjoys food quite as much as I do could be completely incapable of putting ingredients together and creating something edible. It boggles the mind, it surely does. And yet. This bad boy, which looks perfectly innocent, went down the sink because it honestly tasted of nothing but salt.  I had Nutrigrain for dinner that night. Nutrigrain!  (I was far too distressed to even consider baked beans or eggs on toast)  Bad, bad, evil soup.  A souper fail, even (Ha!  Hahahahahahaaaaa a ... aaa ... hem.  Or, maybe a little tee hee, because that was a little bit clever?  Wasn't it ...?  No?  *sigh*)

It is also an awful photo (pre-new camera), which it totally deserves.



And now, the banana bread which was so much more successful because for some reason, putting baking ingredients together is a totally different tin of biscuits to your cooking kettle of fish.  I should've just made this instead of the soup for dinner.  It has bananas so it's wholesome.

Banana cake recipes are the husband's favourite, and I'm pretty partial myself, so they always have to be tried when we come across them.  The variations we have all seem to serve a different purpose too - there's one that's good iced if you want (generally, we don't), one that you definitely don't ice - it has a brown sugar/chocolate sprinkling on top, a layer of it through the middle and is enormous, so a good sharing cake too.  There's another that doesn't need much banana action if you've only got a couple of manky ones hanging about in the fruit bowl ... and so on. 

This little gem just popped out of nowhere when I turned the page in my Kiwi Diary this week (Er, last week.  It was this week when I uploaded the photos).  Sweet!  It's proper banana bread too, not just a loaf tin sized cake.  It's the sort that tastes awesome fresh out of the oven, great sliced the next day (not sure about the other days. I'm really not expecting it to last that long), but also toasted and buttered.  Badass banana bread indeed.  Bam!


No comments: