About

Friday 23 August 2013

Doorstop cuteness

When we first moved into the beach house, the bathroom door squeeeeeeeeeeeaked something dreadful.  You even had to try to not make eye contact while walking past just. in. case.  A breeze was madness-inducing, and the squeaking was always extra loud early in the morning when the little peeps were still asleep.  There was no sneaking into the bathroom, and if you have ever resided in a house with a small person, you know just how much you want to be able to sneak into a bathroom sometimes.  Bad squeaky door.

Of course, it's also been like that for an entire year because the only thing we actually did about it was say we really should do something about it.  It's just our way.

Then out of the blue a couple of weeks ago, the husband actually did do something about it.  He totally made it not squeak!  Which was very exciting until we realised that you must be careful what you wish for.  It turns out, the squeaky hinges were what was holding the door open day in and day out.  Dammit.  Or dammit at least until I realised that I could legitimately add something new to my shopping list.  Wooo!  And I'm not even making up the necessity to justify object adoration.  No sir (maybe a little bit).  Whoever designed the lighting in our house did a truly abysmal job of it (a despressing thing that the husband and I will eventually have to have redesigned and upgraded).  Probably the black carpet doesn't help either, in a house prone to being a bit dark anyway.  But, we do need the light that comes from the bathroom window, so the door needs to stay open. 

Doorstop shopping happiness!

I really wanted some design, so off to Father Rabbit went I and voila!  Cutest doorstop in the world.  I love looking at its beautifully turned self holding open my lounge door (I know.  I was shopping for the bathroom but I loved the newbie so much I had to put it in the lounge, so my poor old Dishy seashell doorstop was banished to the bathroom.  I felt a bit bad about that because it's served me well till now, but bathrooms are more seashelly anyway ... right?  Of course they are) and it amuses me that the oak doorstop has an acorn sitting on it.  It possibly also amuses me that it took several days to make that connection.

(Acorns and oak trees is also a bit of a long standing joke in our house.  One of those jokes that no one else gets, that isn't really a joke at all, but it's funny because it's really annoying.  One day, years ago, the husband is sitting at the table and says "If an apple comes from an apple tree, a pear comes from a pear tree, a peach comes from a peach tree and a lemon comes from a lemon tree and so on ... why does an oak tree grow an acorn?"  See, not funny.  But it pops up every now and again and drives me nuts, and therefore, the acorn on the oak doorstop is funny.  Seriously.  What was even funnier was the other day, out of the blue, the little ginger asked the husband the same question and was much less inclined to just scratch his head and accept the break in pattern.  That was funny.  Or at least, it was because he was demanding answers of the husband and not me.  Any similar type questions that make no sense are dubbed 'the new acorn'.  It really is a thing here.)

No comments: