About

Friday 11 April 2008

Poor 'puter - 'twas terminal

Someone said to me yesterday, in the context of a conversation about the rising cost of absolutely everything, that the only thing getting cheaper is technology.


I thought she had a point at the time, but now I'm wondering if she'd like the bill for our new laptop ...? It didn't feel that cheap at all, even after I convinced the husband to just buy the one with bells, and leave the one with whistles for some other hapless computer-purchasing soul.


What caused me horror most of all though, more than replacing a computer which was barely out of nappies, was the salesman, trying to sell us an extended warranty, busy talking to himself about the virtues of each option (1 year, 2 years etc), stopped dead at 3 years. Apparently there's no point purchasing a warranty for any more than three years because they're only intended to last that long.


Hello? What now? The thing costs a fortune and its life expectancy is three years?


Sounds like complete ass to me, but admittedly, the last one did fry right on the three year mark. It's predecessor wasn't far off either. They argue that it's not worth fixing them after that because the technology is so outdated three years down the track (or as soon as you walk out the store ...) you should be ready for an up grade. Case in point - our old laptop was going to cost the better part of $800.00 to fix, so what did we do? New technology baby.


Anywho, being the canny wee Ginger that I am, I thought that was the perfect context within which to highlight to the husband the quality of investment that my shoe collection really is after all, pointing out to him that they cost heaps less (or, at least half ...ish) of a new computer and they last heeeeaps longer. I imagine that we made an interesting picture right at that moment - me smiling like I'd just won the Nobel prize for logic, the husband giving me his I'm-going-to-hit-you-over-the-head-with-a-shovel-when-we-get-home-you-raving-lunatic look, and the salesman was trying to extract his lower jaw from the desk in front of him so he could go and look for his eye balls which had popped out and rolled away somewhere. Apparently he doesn't spend that much on his shoes.

Still. It's a fair point.

No comments: