About

Wednesday 4 July 2007

And so ends jury duty

Phew.

Luckily I was the wrong shade of Samoan to end up on the jury for the big trial. Absolutely no offence intended to anyone when I say that, but it's the honest truth. The lawyers (actually, here's a thought - am I allowed to say this? No idea) used up all their available challenges (63 of them, if you're interested - it was a veeeery long process choosing the jury), and managed to tailor their jury to the accused, if you know what I mean. Then I managed to avoid getting balloted for jury selection for the remaining two trials of the week, and that was that. I was so cheerful I walked all the way home from the Court (which took an hour incidentially, and I walked in the door at home just as the electrical storm hit. Close call).

Yay for Thursday tomorrow, because that means Friday is only a day away.

And one big final wooppee for squeeking out of serving on a jury!


Oh, and I must confess that I broke my anti-consumer resolve and bought a book. My defence is that I wanted lots of books, but just bought one (and the dollar was at 78 cents US!) ... very bad girl, but I can't wait to get it. A Child Against All Odds by Robert Winston (he who does the Child of Our Time and Human Body series')

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

yay about jury duty, all that worry about whether you were going to get it wrong or not. lucky we don't have the death penalty here!

this is posted at the wrong place, buuuuuuut, given your up and coming plans, might be useful - it came for an ABC (aussie) health site . . . and given your kick ass coffee machine and luuurve of coffee as expressed on the blog - well, you know what I'm getting at:

"One strong cup of coffee can reduce chances of conception. As little as 30mg of caffeine per kilogram of bodyweight can affect conception. Caffeine is a stressor; it stimulates heart and brain and also stimulates hormone release that negatively interacts with reproductive hormones controlling fertility. Caffeine affects whether or not the fertilized egg (embryo) successfully implants in the uterus or not."

happy thursday!

Nikki Elisabeth said...

Spending justified. I went on Strawberrynet to get my cleanser and got sucked into buying toner and moisturiser too! I don't even USE toner! Argh. and $10.00 moisturiser usually does the trick for me too. Evil internet.

Simonne said...

Nikki ... you could sell it on Trademe ...? ;-)

Ruthie - Gotcha! Al's going to be quite happy when the time comes and I stop assaulting his coffee beans!

Anonymous said...

I won't even begin to tsk tsk you for spending see as some more Maddie merchanidse made it's way home with me. Have all us girls fallen off the anti consumerism wagon?