About

Tuesday 24 July 2007

The things we do

A couple of months ago, Al and I came across a lady in the park while walking the dogs, who had something (treats) in her pocket that our two manner-challenged muts took a serious liking too. They were sitting there one minute chewing sticks up, as they do, and then the next both noses were in the air, and she pretty much had one mut glued to each thigh. She offered to give us the recipe, and then both of us promptly forgot about it.

Out of the blue, about a month ago, she dropped by our house (she knows where we live because she walks past our place with her dogs, and our two always say hello. Loudly) with the receipe.

So, shopping list in hand I went to the supermarket a few days later determined to make these for myself. Or rather, the dogs. You know what I mean.

Lambs fry. Check. (Gross)

Eggs. Check.

Rolled oats. Check.

Garlic. Check.

Not only was the cost of the treats better than commercial ones (they work out to about half price), they're better for the puppies (all natural ingredients) and the environment (the Schmackos packets we buy at the moment come with one large plastic packet containing 4 smaller packets. Lots of plastic). Plus I can buy the ingredients in bulk. Yay!

The only real concern I had was how my stomach was going to stand up to liquifying lambs fry. The mere thought sends my stomach bubbling.

It was interesting ... meat liquified in the blender perfectly fine and I survived the experience, eggs went in, rolled oats were sitting to one side in anticipation of being mixed up with the liquid ingredients. And then, I chucked the garlic in. You would not believe the smell that came from that. It honked something wicked. Luckily, my younger brother was staying the weekend, and stepped in to mix it all up and get it in the oven before I threw up in the mixture.

Still, the merest hint of one of these treats and both dogs go batty. Marvellous stuff. I just need to look in the direction of the fridge (where I keep them) and the two of them appear, sitting expectantly at my feet, from whereever they have been on the property.

Needless to say, it was with much trepadation that I realised I was going to need to make another batch last weekend (silly me, I'd been giving them away to people for their dogs to try, and ended up going through the batch quite quicikly). BUT, because I am a genius, I had a plan.

I went out to the shed, got Al's fume mask and made sure there wasn't a hope of anything getting in around the edges, and away I went! It was so tight, I'm pretty sure my face went purple. The dogs were happier than happy things, I have a good months worth of treats, the husband got a very good laugh out of it, and I didn't lose my stomach contents.

Al actually took a pic of me 'baking' which I'll put on here later for your amusement if I remember.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Pic pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease!!! ;o)~