About

Thursday 19 July 2007

Weird. And kind of fascinating.

I have been having the same problem for months. I put on socks and boots, usually for walking the dogs, and almost immediately the pain starts. It's a sharp pain that I get in one place, or several, around my feet and ankles. I've always thought that this was because of perhaps seeds or little thistle needles or something working their way into my socks or boots while in the park. I couldn't tell you how many times I have examined my boots from one end to the other trying to find the source, or my socks for that matter. It's not unusual for me to get as far as the park and desperately need to get my boots off, and there are the two of us, me and Al, sitting on the ground with my boots and socks trying to find what on earth is causing the problem.

You might be inclined to think I'm imagining it, I was beginning to wonder myself, but the thing is that I'd come home and there would be marks - what looked like scratches, tiny wee welts, or a little blister, or just a really angry red patch on my foot or leg. I even have a small scar from a recent blister. I have really sensitive skin, so it wouldn't have had to be much causing it, it's just a bit miserable.

On Tuesday night, we found the source. If I hadn't actually discovered it, I probably wouldn't have believed it, and Al has said that if I hadn't shown him, he wouldn't have believed it either.

Do you want to know?



Dog hair. Seriously. Jack's to be particular. I took my boot off, to find a small welt coming up on my ankle and 2 of Jack's hairs, which I didn't associate with the welt. Initially. That is, until I had some trouble brushing one off, and couldn't brush the other off. It was actually under my skin!!

His hair is getting caught up in my socks and the individual hairs have been piercing my skin, and I suppose with the movement of walking, actually moving up under the skin. In this instance, the hair was all but completely under my skin. And believe me, it itched and burned like you wouldn't believe for a couple of hours after I pulled it out too. They're like little wee needles his hairs, but still - they are dog hairs!

Thinking about it, I have noticed Jack's hairs being difficult to brush off me before, it's just not something you'd imagine happening, and I never paid much attention. Surely my skin isn't so soft that it can't keep a dog hair out? Apparently I assume too much. Perhaps they get in via pores?

So, as I said - weird, but fascinating.

Apparently it's not unknown to happen though and can lead to nasty Staph infections, so I'm going to have to get a couple more pairs of socks for my boots, and make sure that there is no dog hair caught up in them before I put them on. Honestly though! Of all the things!

No comments: