About

Monday 23 July 2007

I have a sore thumb



See?

And, who knew that you had to be a contortionist to use your left hand to take a picture of your right thumb? I managed to get it all lined up properly, and then realised I had no way of pressing the button to actually take the damn photo because it's on the right hand side of the camera, and I was doing it left handed. So, at the moment the pic was snapped, I was bent at unnatural angles trying to depress the button, hence the fuzzy pic quality. I'm getting too old to be bent at any angle, let alone unnatural ones, so you get what you get with that one.

Anyway, the offending digit in said pic is hosting a staph infection, which may or may not land me in hospital Monday morning (here's hoping for may not). I'm allowed at home on antibiotics on the strict basis that if there is no improvement within 24 hours, I have to go back to hospital for IV antibiotics (I'm typing this on Sunday to post Monday morning because I've pretty much only ever been able to type with about 5 fingers, and the thumb was one of them, so this is taking half the day).

We won't discuss the tetanus jab, other than to say that my arm feels like it's going to fall off any second, and no, I'm not being melodramatic.

Still, now we know that immune system vs burgeoning staph infection is probably what caused my Wednesday illness, though that being the case, I really feel my immune system could have displayed a little more dedication to the task. Then again, it wasn't until I woke up in the wee smalls of Sunday morning with white hot pain running into my hand (all I said was ouch too, I swear, no matter what anyone else in my neighbourhood tells you they heard being yelled) that I thought there might be something a bit wrong. Al took one look and dragged me to hospital by the ear.

Monday morning:
Hand seems stable, so I'm going to flag hospital. It's a bit rough not being able to take painkillers since the pain is making me a bit cross-eyed, but apparently staph moves fast and can be quite dangerous - especially if you have it somewhere like ... ohhh ...let's say, your hand? So, no painkillers, doctor's orders (otherwise, one of the main symptoms of the infection, in particular the infection travelling, is masked). Bollocks. Am feeling a bit seedy today, but I suppose that's a mixture of pain and immune system, so that shouldn't last long.
Fun and games.
Oh, and how did I manage to actually get the infection? Especially since there is no wound? The possibilities are endless, but point of entry seems to be the nail bed of my thumb, so probably puppy wrestling or something.

No comments: