About

Tuesday 24 July 2012

A few of my favourite things

It's so tempting when you move into a new house, to collect lots of cool stuff to fill it up with.  Well, for me with no self-control.  Although, sadly online window shopping doesn't go wrong (depending on which end of the Visa bill you're standing) as often as it used to.  I blame the beach house mortgage which is almost half as big again as it used to be, and the addition of the not-ginger.  I had to put my sensible pants on (well, maybe just one leg of them).  Plus, we don't have a fire here and I really don't want to have to resort to eating the Visa bill.  Nothing looks as awesome as it did when you're standing in front of it eating 10 pages of transactions.  I swear the husband is getting smarter too - he seems to be able to look at something and work out how much I spent on it.  Useless. 

The other thing is that this really does feel like our forever home, so there just doesn't seem to be any rush at all (except temptation) to quickly load it to the gunnels.  It feels like we have all the time in the world to get it right.  This home has a much more colourful vibe than our previous homes though - maybe it's the beach thing - so we have caved and splashed a few bits of awesome colour around, just to get us started.

Here are a few of my favourite things.

Cushions by Little Fine Day - I bought the one on the right when we were selling the Taita house, but with this house in mind.  The flags cushion on the left was all this house.  I love them.


Tea towel by Tom Polo for Third Drawer Down.  I saw this and loved it.  It made me laugh and for that, it needed to be on the wall.  We're tempted to get it stretched onto a canvas in due course, but for now, it's fine and happy where it is.  It was perfectly starched for presentation when it arrived, but unfortunatley the little ginger got to it before I managed to get to drawing pins ... and blew his nose on it.  Ergo, I had to wash it.  I'll have to confess to weighing it up though ... it was perfectly starched.  Perfectly.  If he hadn't just had a cold ... No, no.  I wouldn't've ... maybe. 


Happy, bright mugs.  We've been using a selection of Crown Lynn circa 70s mugs for the last couple of years, and we love them, but the handles have started falling off.  Fine if they're in a drawer or in the sink being washed, not so fine if they're full of a hot cuppa.  I've had a thing for these since I first saw them in Askew years ago, but we've always had a reasonably neutral colours around us and although you can get them in neutral colours, they just really did seem the sort of thing that needed to be bright.  So, we splurged!  Well, I splurged, but since they went on the husband's tab, I'll call it a joint effort.  Ahem.


And my plate wall.  I love my plate wall, which is done by my friend Niki at Odd One Out.  I'm just sorry I couldn't take a decent photo.  If I stood dead on, the light seemed to bounce off my Super Fly plate.  Grumbles.  Still, you get the idea and these have their own lounge wall.  I love them - I've been collecting them since she started.  She's a genius.


These are figs.  They are awesome because they are in a paper bag, and I love stuff in paper bags.  That one's been with me (the thing, not that particular bag) since I was a kid.  I can't wait till I can start getting the little ginger into decorating them and making puppets, like they used to on Play School.  We'll use the old cellulose tape too.  That always made an awesome noise on TV.

Also with the figs - today or tomorrow I'll do my first baking item out of Global Baker, so the next time you see these, they should look exceptionally yum, encased in a scone twist.  

No comments: