About

Saturday 14 July 2012

Happiness is a Farmers' Market

I love farmers' markets.  Love, love them.  When we lived in Auckland we used to go out to the one at Clevedon as often as possible (not often enough, for sure) - there is (was? it's been a couple of years) a stall there that did the best lemon sugar crepes ........ (Homer Simpson drool).  Breads and cheeses are my thing though - I swear I could live happily for the rest of my life on nothing but awesome bread and cheese (perhaps with a bit of vege soup to fight off scurvy).  I almost feel inspired to cook when I've been to a market (not really.  I do feel inspired to make the husband cook though - does that count?).

You have no idea how exited I was to find an amazing market just down the road from the beach house.  There are so many things I love about living here, but being able to pack up the kids and walk to the market on a Saturday morning?  Happiness is. 

I guess it's more of a community market than a farmers' market - although I'm not entirely sure what defines a market as a farmers' market - but there are all the essentials ... breads, olive oils, fruit and veges, meats, the fish truck (I'm pretty sure we're paying that guy's mortgage, not so quietly), sweets (you should have seen the rocky road we picked up today - it was a beautiful thing to behold.  I can't show you because we ate it (sorry about that), but it really was something.  I'll get another one next week, just for you guys.  A funny thing too - I've been married to the husband for nearly 11 years and I had no idea that he was completely incapable of not eating rocky road.  I found this out to my great shock this evening, because when I say 'we' ate the rocky road, I was largely not accountable for its demise.  True story.) .... actually, I don't remember seeing cheese.  There must've been cheese.  Surely.  It's Kapiti.  You can't have a Kapiti market without cheese.  That's just ridiculous.  I'll pay more attention next time.  And maybe take photos.  We were a little unprepared on our first visit so I didn't take as good a note as I could have - we stumbled across it, almost literally, leaving a cafe post-brunch and I went into a joyous overload about 10 seconds in.  And we got there late today, so missed pretty much everything (except the rocky road, obviously - sweet!).

The husband found me, quite literally, hopping around the room one Saturday morning maybe a week or two after we moved in because I'd spotted people - people, multiple - walking up the street, with bags of veges.  It screamed market, but better yet meant that it had to be close because they were all walking.  And it is - it's literally 3 turns from the beach house.  I was of course praying that it wasn't just veges because ... well ... veges ... and yay that it's the full she-bang!

It's just ... good.  Life's good.  It's hard from day to day and I find myself challenged on so many levels, but there's something about things like a morning at a good ol' kiwi market that just brings you back to base, and helps you take a breath.

No comments: