About

Friday 20 July 2012

Go to YouTube. Search The Duck Song.

My mission to making sure everyone in the world can't get that song out of their head is running parallel to my project just now.  And, you're welcome.

I found my start point yesterday, while sitting at the hairdresser with possibly an entire roll of tin foil in my hair. 

Fig and aniseed scone twist. 

I don't like figs, but I'm on a journey here and I'm trying to be open minded.  There's actually only one thing in this book that I'm going to have to make the husband eat and that's the watermelon, citrus and vodka granita.  I couldn't care less for watermelon, and I have a Pavlovian response to vodka.  Evil stuff.  Actually, I've just noticed while scowling at the page that it actually says that if you don't like alcohol you can use extra fruit, and you can change your fruit.  Probably should've read that a bit better, and avoided anyone wondering how I came to develop such an objection to vodka.  As you were then.  Fig and aniseed.

After that it's five spice, chocolate and almond macaroons and then pistachio and white chocolate chunk cookies.  With a bit of luck I'll nail those to the wall (or pictures at least. Heh (I know - it doesn't really take that much to amuse me). Actually .... that's an idea - a picture board as I go in the kitchen would look really funky. I think. Could give it a whirl anyway. No harm done if it doesn't) and then I'll probably have hopefully tracked down moulds for a fondant (and mini madeleines too - that's proving tricky. As is hunting down a copy of The New Zealand Baker: Breads, Cakes and Pastries, which is out of print).  I'm a bit nervous about fondant - the road to Masterchef is littered with the corpses of a thousand fondants and all that.  Then I think at that stage possibly curiosity will have gotten the best of me and I'll have to know what a sweet potato and blueberry creme brulee tastes like).

But for now, I'm missing important ingredients for everything, so I'm going to go and hang the washing out.  Glamorous.  And think about the market tomorrow where there'd better be more rocky road.  I think.  The husband and I nearly divorced over the last piece of the last rocky road during the week - he really is very weird about rocky road.  I'm also going to hope that the coffee beans I ordered this morning turn up while I'm faffing outside.  I'd be interested to know what the good folks at Havana Coffee Works thought this morning when two separate orders pinged up on their screens from two separate locations, beore 7 am - one from the husband at work, and one from me at home.  Heh.

No comments: