About

Tuesday 27 May 2008

Something starting with mustard

I have no idea what it is, but I want it. Now. It's probably ham. Ham and mustard sandwiches. More mustard than ham. Coleman's mustard too. Mmmmmm. Ham. Excellent news that cured ham is No. 1 on the banned foods list, and a baked ham will cost about 6 packets of preggie pops and half a day hovering over the oven to get my hands on and by then No. 9 will have decided that ham is the devil's food anyway, indecisive little toadstool.

Lucky for me, the Laird also seems to urgently require salada crackers with piccalilli and cheese which I can kind of do. I don't have the piccalilli, but he seems to be satisfactorily fooled if I chuck a chopped up brown onion on top of the cheese, and thank heavens I had the saladas. Even better, since he's already made me hurl today, I'll probably even get to digest my crackers in semi-peace. Weee! (It's the little things.)

The next question is how many salada crackers are too many salada crackers? ... I've just had 12.

I think No. 9 has had a growth spurt in the last 24 hours or so. Yesterday I had sharp pains and cramping all day (freaked the pants off me, not so quietly. One thing a women in early pregnancy does not want is sharp pains and cramping) and today, he just seems ...uncomfortable ... like I'm stretching and there's something pushing up under my ribs. And he just feels bigger. (I really have to start using something for stretchmarks.)

So, now, I'm completely giving up worrying that it might be twins, because at least if there are two of them they'll be individually little (in theory), and concentrating very hard on worrying about exactly how big the gargantuan baby may actually grow should he be a singleton.

Equally depressing, I ran into a friend the other day who is a nurse. She asked me how I was going while looking at my bump trying very hard not to laugh. You know how people suck in their cheeks and go a bit cross-eyed, while trying to keep their faces composed? Hmpf. This is the same friend who said with wide eyes, when I told her my HCG levels and that we were a bit worried about twins, are you sure there aren't three of them? Good friends are so difficult to find, it's a shame when you have to kill them.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

cramping is GOOD, well, normal so i discovered during our epic. apparently there are all sorts of creaks and groans one can expect from the baby storing apparatus that seem sinister but are ok . . .
i appreciate the wee bairns taste in food, and feel that amelia would heartily concur if she wasnt trying to climb out a 3rd floor window just now!
annnd, even if no-one else can see much of a bump, the bumpee sure as hell can feel it. those puppies are ginormous, even when only one. you do know it will get even bigger, right??? until you can't even FIT a salada in said stomach because the occupant of the lower floor is spilling over into every available space.

Simonne said...

*groan* I knooooowwww ... I keep prodding it and doing vague mental calculations on rate of growth and balance of pregnancy left to see through ... eek!

It's a really funny sensation though, the bump - like you've permanently eaten waaaay too much lunch!

I think I might add ropes to my layette list, so when No.9 discovers windows himself, so I can tie him to something solid away from the window...

Anonymous said...

um, ropes are bad, as they either try to climb them, eat them, or hang themselves from them. at present, amelia is limiting herself to opening and shutting window, while shooting rapid glances at either parent in the hope that we will look away long enough for her to clamber onto said windowsill.

the same look is in evidence when she oh so innocently approaches hotpoints with one delicate, soggy, and blameless pointed finger at the ready. she has a way of sliding past hotpoint with a wounded look of the falsely accused.

we are considering drugs. amsterdam is, after all, only a small train ride away.

you are likely to get heartburn soon too. a little torso is a curse. sharpen the elbows so you can pay al back each time a new pain (oops, i mean SENSATION) appears.

Simonne said...

The grapevine ala grannie informs me that kiddly has cut her first tooth! Weee! Now she'll be able to bite stuff ... like ... her dad! :-)

Heartburn sounds like fun ... and don't you worry, Al is definitely having his own hardships. This morning, he was trying to eat his breakfast to the background music of me puking. Really helps the digestion that.

Anonymous said...

before she starts in on dad, first she is biting stuff like her MUM, just as she leaves the breast the very end of said nipply item is nipped. bad words are said. apologies are offered (only by the swearer, the swearee grins in bald-gummed delight). another tooth is imminent, and it is huge like the first. teeth of a horse like her dear papa.
yes, andrew was party to puking sounds in the early days, 6 weeks night and day to be precise. i always thought other people were exaggerating when they said they vomited that much. they weren't. the bathroom in our venice hotel room backed directly on to the main living area. our room service brekkies were sonically blessed - well his were.

little poops.

Anonymous said...

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,23782382-601,00.html

so just where IS number nine growing then???

Simonne said...

Ack! OK, ok, I'll take two of them, just so long as they're not in my ovaries! I seriously hope they put that cathetar (sp?) back where they were supposed to ...