About

Monday 16 June 2008

Can I make it cool just by pretending it is?

This is really bugging me. Really.

Despite No. 9 being referred to universally as 'him' by all parties, it was very much a default thing because I couldn't and can't bring myself to refer to the embryo as 'it'. I do, every now and again, but for the most part, it's 'him'. It seems so ...unwelcoming. And let's face it, the little toad isn't half giving us jip, so we want him to feel as welcome as possible. Said welcome, my mother tells me, would be very much assisted by my ceasing to refer to the baby as "the little bastard" each time it gives me another dreadful fright, nevermind calling it 'he' or 'she'. She may have a point. Plus there's that whole seventh wedding anniversary thing looming which kind of throws the bastard aspect out the window on a technicality...

Anywho, both the husband and I actually feel quite strongly that No. 9 is in fact, a girl. The husband has been convinced from day one, although I think that his feeling is based on a mortal fear of having a teen aged daughter down the track, and therefore he's of the opinion that Murphy's Law therefore dictates that 'he' is more than likely a she. For me, I was a teen aged girl. Enough said. Mostly, I was still running with the boy thing until a week or so ago when I had the strongest sense completely out of nowhere that I had it rather wrong. But, I've kept up the 'he' because it's annoying when people change their minds all the time and gender-speculating drives me batty. Plus it also meant that I could also still drop the thoughtful clanger, "Do you know, I might be growing a penis in me at the moment?" during a family dinner recently. I really hope my kid isn't like me personality-wise. Seriously. (Size-wise for birth though, we definitely want it taking after me more than the husband)

Anywho. Again. I have a point. Thinking about a girl leads me to casually thinking about a girl's name.

There is one name which I love but which is completely uncool, and therefore could potentially destroy kiddly's life (not to be too over-dramatic about it, of course). Except ...I love it. Really love it. It has ... something special. Personality perhaps.

Surely there is a way to make a name cool over the next seven months?

It's terrible because I'm so old-fashioned and I love old-fashioned things, especially names. Maybe I could say it's vintage, and therefore it may immediately zoom up the coolness scale (or not, of course. Ahem) ... but what happens when vintage isn't cool anymore? But then, perhaps my child deserves to be scarred for life as payback for the bleeding and the cramps. He/she ages me ten years, I stick him/her with a terrible name for about 80. It seems fair.

Sooo. To the polls!

Am I a terrible person for loving the name Harriet? Do I dare consider naming my kid that?

What say you?

I know you'll all be honest, and let's face it, you can always post anonymously or just do the poll if you don't want me to know who you are when you're confirming the hideousness.

And besides, it's better than Poppy. Right? I think the husband would hit me over the head with a spade if I tried to name it Poppy.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

bloody gorgeous. absolutely. and perfect with amelia. not that i think you should be swayed by that. but it is a cousinly name.
worse than poppy (we have a friend called poppy - 5 years old and greek), is PRUNE . . . seriously . . . a french couple we met, called their daughter prune, which is french for PLUM. admittedly, you roll the rrrr while saying it, so it softens the kiwi pronunciation somewhat, but PRUNE/PLUM???

Anonymous said...

oh, and for the record, andrew remembers that you were a teenage girl once also. in fact, when we discovered that we were having a girl (after the tears were all mopped up and the skipping had desisted) he said" "if she's got red hair, it can go back where she came from." once i reminded him that strictly speaking he was the contributing parent as far as introduced genetic material went, thussuch a return would prove immensely difficult, if not excrutiatingly agonising for him, he retracted his remark, mutteringly darkly that I hadn't seen simonne in full paddy. altho, i am currently feeding amelia pieces of banana, and every time she drops a piece, she screams furiously . . . hmmmmm.

Simonne said...

What? Me? Paddy? I do not have any idea to what you refer.

None.

Not even half an idea.

(Luckily, my genetic contribution will be watered down 50% by the husbands genetic contribution, although if you'd ever seen HIM in a full paddy, I'd be looking *seriously* angelic. I'd much rather our kid got my paddies over his any day of the week!)

Esther said...

OK - Well to make things worse, I LOVE Poppy. If we didn't have a 'P' surname I'd have it on my shortlist. But enough about me Harriet is a lovely name. I know a 20 something year old called Harriet, she's a nice girl and has never mentioned hating her name. Hell, at least you can spell it!

Anonymous said...

I think Harriet could be cool, depending on the child...but yeah...I love Poppy too...though if the child is a red head I can see that leading to teasing maybe....

Mel Archer said...

I like both Harriet and Poppy :) As for the gender speculation, you can always us the all inclusive term 'baby' (without 'the' in front) though I know some people find that a bit pretentious. I use it anyway as I don't want to indicate a preference at this time (tho I think I'm having a girl at the mo')...

Anonymous said...

just thinking: if you had red-headed twin girls, you could call them harriet and henrietta . . . they are smokin' names for such little brightly coloured people. but that would have to be NEXT time i guess.
that would mean number 9 would have to fall back on - oh i don't know, lucinda or esmerelda or genevieve or something.

Simonne said...

What is this 'next time' of which you speak ...?

Anonymous said...

pfffft. next time schmext time. five on ice and you think you will stop at one??? WOTEVA! this is an addictive process. trust me. you are gonna want 'just one more' til the end of your days, or until dementia settles like a comfort blanky and you don't remember baby related stuff.

Simonne said...

Maybe that's why the OB's eyes bugged out a bit when we told him we had five on ice ...

Either he was thinking that I was mad, that the husband should leave home, orrrrr ... he'd done a quick tot up of the fees he'd get for seeing six little Walmsleys into the world.

Anonymous said...

and jasper and jefferson for twin boys . . .
the ob was DEFINITELY thinking of his fees. how else will he keep his golf handicap so low?