About

Monday 16 June 2008

On the subject of clangers ...

We're sitting in the obstetrician's room and, starts patting his pockets, turning over papers, examining the surface of his desk and looking about the office with a confused look on his face "I've lost my pen"

The husband "I hope you didn't leave it in your last patient"

Me, completely speechless, and completely unable to stop laughing, but still completely capable of belting the husband.

The husband "What? Doctors are always leaving things in patients."

(Apparently it didn't occur to the husband until afterwards actually where the obstetrician probably would have left his pen had he left it it the patient. Now he's almost a little bit embarrassed. Only almost though.)

Obviously, the appointment went well and our OB is worth his weight. Straight away he thought it very likely that the pain is coming from endo scarring (which also means that it's probably not really going to stop for the next seven months), but he also did a thorough ultrasound which showed that my ovaries are still pretty big and haven't really started to come back down again post-IVF (I also have scarring on my ovaries), and I also have follicles which haven't reabsorbed yet. So, I feel much better knowing where it's all coming from, and it's just going to be a case of symptom and pain management.

My uterus looks really good, and baby is perfectly cheerful still (with his little heart flickering away perfectly), even after the second bleed. He's changed so much in the last week - we last saw him last Tuesday, and in the meantime he's grown 6mm (from 16mm to 22mm), his head has become more defined and his limb formation is moving quickly. We could see little arms and clubbed hands, little legs curled up, and even a teeny tiny foot sticking up. He looks a lot more like a baby now - last week he was more a bean with a head. I still find it kind of weird that I can see him moving but I can't feel a thing, and won't until about 22 weeks.

So, very happy over here, and things are going well. The OB was a really good decision - we feel safe, and we feel that we're giving No. 9 the very best we can pre coming into the world.

And yay for having another scan so soon. The OB even said that I can come in for scans every couple of weeks if I want or need to ... although he did look like he'd probably put a hit out on me if I took him up on it. So, in theory, our next scan is mid-July when we do the 12/13 week scan which will be done at Ascot, and then I'll have another appointment with OB to cover the results. In the meantime, I'll just keep growing this kid and try not to bleed any more.

Oh, and I finish up my hormones about mid next week so I'm hoping that that might help things settle down a bit too. I'll feel like I'm finally leaving IVF behind for now once I'm done with them, which will be really very nice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY . . . fantastic. hells bells, if i was you i would be over for scans every day.
and, it is perfectly reasonable that you stand a good chance of being rolled back into the water should you go to a beach any time soon, seeing as how HUGE no 9 is getting. i mean, 22 mils is enormous.
al - you rock. thats the best clanger we've heard for a while.

Mel Archer said...

Yay ! That's good news, just stock up on the panadol :). Keep a sense out for little bubbly feelings in your lower belly (a totally weird sensation I might add), I reckon I was feeling stuff from 16 odd weeks (it was happening too often to just be gas) and you might too! Yay for ultrasounds too :)