About

Tuesday 24 June 2008

Tales from the trenches

On the drawbacks of the kid having my sense of humour:

Note to self - Do not muse out loud with any form of glee that your morning sickness appears to be coming to an end. In fact, do not speak of it at all. If you by chance have a day or two off puking, shut the hell up and enjoy it. The kid has ears.


On the drawbacks of the kid having impeccable timing:

At 3.45am yesterday morning, my cat threw up on the carpet in the bedroom.

Believe me when I tell you that I was seriously rethinking this pregnancy thing when, very soon after I'd cleaned up and gotten back into bed the kid decided that since I'd been up, it must be morning, and therefore time for morning sickness.


On my brains having fallen out of my ears:

Late last week, the husband was cooking dinner but couldn't find the steak I'd gotten out to defrost earlier in the day. I could distinctly remember liberating it from the freezer, so the question was where the hell had I put it? We turned the house upside down envisaging steak rotting away in a corner somewhere, only to find it, eventually, outside in the recycling bin. Bless.


On remembering that things are not how they used to be:

Further note to self - if you think there is any possibly that there is the teeniest amount of wee in your suddenly minuscule bladder, do not even entertain the possibility that you will be able to make it to work, or home from work, without coming close to exploding. All possible precautions must be made. Especially when considering sticking oneself in a car and hitting the Auckland motorway. It could be years before you reach your destination.


Sorry about the lack of No. 9 updates. I can't believe we are 10 weeks today - a quarter of the way there. It still seems completely surreal, minuscule bladder and puking included. But, I'm loving every second of it. Except for Saturday night ... No. 9 successfully reversed everything I've eaten, and a few things I'm sure I didn't, for about the last three weeks over a period of about half an hour. It wasn't pretty. Even the husband looked a bit green (I do wicked sound effects. I'm all about sharing the pain) when I eventually emerged from hell.

I'll have the husband take a pic of the kiddly house (which has taken on a rather strange shape I have to say) tonight.

And now, I absolutely have to eat a sugar donut. It's going to end in tears, I know, but it's a game kiddly and I love to play. Especially if I manage to partially digest it! It's like Christmas only ... not.

7 comments:

Mel Archer said...

There is something unique about the noises you make when throwing up from morning sickness, I think. The noise I was making startled me even, not to mention the copious tears streaming from my eyes from the effort.It's like your body really really really really wants rid of what is in your stomach (more than it ever has wanted rid of dodgy food or alcohol). Weird!

Simonne said...

Yes! I know! I have never been a noisy puker (certainly not to this extent at least) but ohhhh ... then again, I guess most often my stomach is trying to rid itself of absolutely nothing so I think the sound effects make you feel better. I moaned to Al the other day that I much prefer it if I'm at least bringing something up (this after a cup of tea barely touched bottom one morning last week, and I made the trip up the hallway to the toilet in record speed) - but revised that opinion on Saturday night when I was throwing up with such force, I had chunks lodged up my nose. Bless. (I was never that classy to begin with, but I've given up all pretense courtesy of No. 9) You can defintitely tell God is a bloke. What woman in her right mind would think it a good idea to be pregnant for 9 whole months (give or take)??

Anonymous said...

vessie faible . . . that is the french term for a weak bladder. cute huh? two teaspoons of wee and you are gonna POP if you do not immediately get to a loo. and to think you once managed 13 hours overnight without a trickle.

personally I think the vomitin' and overly abundant loo stops are merely devices for accustoming you to discomforts yet to arrive, and to warn you that your life, let alone your body, is no longer your own.

and - soon enough - you will lose the remote control . . . Amelia now knows how to change channels, and stands in front of TV with cable remote in both hands, eyes on the screen, stubby ankles braced, and presses those buttons with two thumbs - giggling when the screen alters in any way.

consider this stuff fair warning - you have a squatter on board for a loooooooong looooong time.

Anonymous said...

yes, mother nature is a myth, she would at lesat ensure we could tolerate all the food goodies we love so much without straining one vomit muscle . . . althooooo, apparently, male seahorses do the pregnancy and carrying babies stuff - so that was a move in the right direction.

Nikki Elisabeth said...

Weeeeeeee an update - even if it is riddled with puking stories. Which I love btw. Just feel for ya.

xox

Mel Archer said...

I really think we are having kindred pregnancies, Simonne - so I'll say now that the morning sickness DOES end, though not necessarily at the 12 week stage as promised by numerous baby books (which incidentally need to sort out some of the advice they give - the vast majority of women I know that have actually had morning sickness didn't finish it round 12 weeks - humphh!) - and that's the end of the spew talk Nikki ;)

Anonymous said...

maybe the sounds are the kiddly talking to you???
http://stuff.co.nz/4595243a26642.html