About

Friday 1 August 2008

Happiness is

Tomorrow I am going shopping.

I love to shop. Reeeeally love to shop. But, with all the budgety seriousness resulting from impending No. 9 related financial doom, I've been having to be very well behaved for such a long time. It must have been ... a week? (except for that cardy on Tuesday, but that doesn't count because it was on sale and I was cold) AAAAAges! But, needs must, I require a tarp to cover No.9's temporary accommodation.

Apparently thinking/hoping/praying that normal tops would do the trick for the duration of pregnancy was a bit naive-slash-idiotic. Then again, who knew that I'd be the size of an inner city apartment (the husband's words ... I moaned that I was the size of a house and he assured me that I was definitely only the size of an inner-city apartment at most. Obviously that's another reason to go shopping. He completely deserves shopping-inflicted pain) in five minutes flat. And don't even get me started on the temperature thing. My thermostat is completely screwed. I think No. 9 must have jumped on it, destructive little troll. Or dismantled it. I have a vision of a little ginger troll-baby sitting cross legged in my uterus waving a screwdriver in the direction of my thermostat.

Umm ... where was I? Clothes. Shopping. Right. In fact, such is the lesson learned, I'm only going to buy enough to keep me going until things change again and I need to upgrade to a super-tarp for later on. Oh, and jeans. I'll need some new jeans. Apparently buying maternity jeans when I was five minutes pregnant just because they were branded No.9 and were therefore extremely cool (comfort be damned) wasn't such a genius idea after all because I can't stand wearing them. My bad. It turns out that your body doesn't just change shape, it has very distinct likes and dislikes with regards to clothing and comfort. Go figure. So, tops and jeans. I feel slightly less bad about the jeans on the basis that they're currently listed on Trademe, and I resisted an extraordinarily cool pair of shoes during the week because I thought I might need a tarp and tragic though it is, one can't have everything one wants all the time. Heavens I'm growing as a person.

Then, after shopping goodness, I am going to see Batman in the Circle Lounge at Berkeley in Botany. Reclining leather chairs at the movies are the best thing ever AND there is a very slim chance that my bladder just MIGHT last the entire duration of the movie. If I plan my pre-movie coffee/water intake veeeery carefully and cross my legs five times. I also bought a carefully constructed lolly mix to take along too when I was doing the groceries last night (movie lollies are expensive, and one packet of the same lollies just isn't cool at the movies. It's very important that you rustle for 15 minutes trying to find a jaffa, but come out with a milk bottle, a sour snake, an eskimo, and every other thing that's in there first), though in hindsight, I have no idea why I did because No.9 seems to be back in a puking frame of mind again, and never really liked lollies anyway. It's the principal of the thing.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WHY DON'T YOU . . . design a range of clothing that grows with your body, looks indescribably cool and sexy at all times, even after a violent puke, that you could wear AFTER the birth to hold all loose and wobbly bits close together, that stops your breasts falling out of a bra that fitted you perfectly the day before the night that number 9 decides to have a growth spurt and feed every hour on the hour, making said breasts balloon to a frightening extent, and that responds to your body's temperature changes instantly without you having to rip items off said body indiscriminately . . . and doesn't cost a sausage?

failing that, tarp it up, and save your $$$ for more movies and yummy lolly mixes . . .

Anonymous said...

did you end up attaining a state of perfect tarp? (closely related to zen, but with more empire lines and cleverly placed tailoring)