About

Sunday 6 July 2008

An addendum to my earlier post

The husband informs me, after a rather mind-numbing session of kiddly name searches on the net, that he does not hate Ruari. He quite likes it. He says that he said it would "take me a while to get used to it" and now he's used to it. He likes the traditional Irish spelling too, although to me it's a bit back-to-front. Rori would be easier.

Sweeeeet.

I'll stick it in the list next to Dexter St Cool.

My mother will curse of course, because I'm pretty sure she did hate Ruari. Something about two y's together (Ruari Walmsley) ... I think that if we were to break it up with something nice and Elizabethy, we'd be ok. Assuming No. 9 was a she of course. Not too keen on calling a boy Elizabeth. It might cause ... issues.

(P.S. Rory means 'Red King' - handy if No. 9 is a ginger)

5 comments:

Nikki Elisabeth said...

OOo I love Ruari. Reminds me of Gilmore Girls and I just love Gilmore Girls. And Rori is gorgeous.

If I just killed the name for you I am desperately sorry. If it helps some, her name is actually Lorelei.

Errrmmm... *the name killer slinks off*

Simonne said...

That's exactly what Al said - "You loved Gilmore Girls!" ... I did and I have all the DVDs! So never fear, name is still alive and kicking! But what brought the name to life for me as a name was your friend who I met at your cousins? Except I remember her saying that she changed the spelling of her name for some reason because it was a pain in the ass ... but I can't remember from what to what, and why it was a pain in the ass! For some reason that's bugging me!

Anonymous said...

If you continue to consider names of this ilk, I will be forced to contact CYFS. Don't make me do it!

sp

Simonne said...

Someone I used to know who is a Dr once told me that she had a kiddly patient once upon a time named Mt Roskill Bus Stop. You get to complain if I name the Kid Fertility Plus Procedure Room 2.

Nikki Elisabeth said...

My friend Niamh has a little boy named Rory. She didn't spell it the proper way (Ruairi? Couldn't be arsed getting the little dashy thing over the i) as she was worried about spelling/pronounciation. I think she regrets it now though and would have liked the proper Irish spelling.

She felt the spelling pain though as no one knows how to pronounce Niamh upon seeing it!!