About

Thursday 24 July 2008

It's all a matter of context

Certain people continue to be most displeased with our top two name choices of Rory and Harriet.

This just goes to show that it could be a whole lot worse.

I have tried to convince the husband to investigate other name options to add to the list. Or, at least, to help create a proper list, but he doesn't see the necessity of expending vital energy looking for more names when we already have two perfectly acceptable ones (depending on who you talk to, of course). Apparently adding extras just means more decisions. Mind you, since I have been investigating and nothing else really appeals to me either at the moment, on the basis that the names just don't feel like No. 9, I can live with that. I just hope it doesn't turn out to be a boy, because a 7 foot ginger bloke called Harriet could potentially have issues (the husband says that any 7 foot ginger is always going to have issues so it's irrelevant). Thankfully, Rory is do-able for a boy as well - we can just shove a James after it and booya! Just don't tell No. 9 that this is how it got named. I'm working on a long-winded explanation about deep and sentimental significance for later.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://health.ninemsn.com.au/article.aspx?id=175607

Just in case you don't have enough to occupy you until the 20th of August. I have to say, Amelia was conceived a month after a DAMN cold November, including us whipping over to England for our anniversary - but, in your case, it might be hard to figure out the weather thing, given that conception wasn't exactly commensurate with the gathering of genetic material was it?

Funny re the boobs - if you are buying more bras, make sure you have room for expansion, seriously. Double letters are on the cards when you feed kids with these genes. I am missing being able to wear singlet tops and braless numbers as I am more endowed than ever before, and they look indecent. Stomach sleeping is also off the menu for a while. I have a nice sports bra which I look at wistfully, but there will need to be some serious shrinkage before I can ever wear it again.

I look at Andrew wearing the same clothes day in and day out, never having to wonder what will fit him at this stage of pregnancy/feeding etc, and want to spit . . .

BTW, would you use some oil for pregnancy and birth from the Perfect Potion range? It is lovely aromatherapy stuff using excellent quality oils, and HAS only been partially used by us (even tho the birth didn't go as planned, my back and tummy were very well polished before the cutting began . . . ), the Birth Oil was recommended by our lovely midwife as being VERY good for normal childbirth; let me know and I will bring it over along with Number 9's pressies in a coupla weeks.

Simonne said...

Wicked. Well, we know that No. 9 is either a girl or a boy. It gets slightly tricky vis a vis the conception thing on the Chinese lunar calendar ... although things did get mixed up at the end of April which = girl. Also supported by the ring test. I didn't do the other ones and I can't for the life of me remember what the weather was like.

I opted for sensible bra purchasing and bought one until I see how things go. It dries easy enough every other night over the heated towel rail, so it'll keep me going for a month or two. Hopefully.

I'm not sure if I would use the oil to be very honest (unbelievably ticklish and barely manage to rub oil on the bump) - unless throwing it at the husband mid-contraction would count as use?

Anonymous said...

all good re the oil . . .

I am imagining the names in usage, and have to say ALL sound good with Amelia. Can't you hear Grann (with an I.E) now? Harriet and Amelia, did you chop down Grannie's peach tree? James Rory Walmsley and Amelia Rose Stewart Leach . . . who ate all my worms???
Amelia and Rory, why is Grannie's shed on fire?
Paul, why is your van heading up the driveway and you are not in it? HARRIET AND AMELIA, come back here NOW . . .!

Simonne said...

If you don't think about the possible disaster-clean-ups involved, and that one way or the other there WILL BE disaster-clean-ups, it almost makes one feel all warm and fuzzy inside.

Double letters are on the cards? PAH! Double letters are on the boobs already!

And yes ... it's funny about the fittage thing. I've just come up against a base-layers-not-fitting-at-all wall. I thought that would be a problem muuuuuch later, but it seems not. Things just do not look right. Bollocks. I saw this faaaaabulous pair of shoes yesterday on sale and fell so in lust, but alas, methinks the shoe money is going to turn into a tarp to cover No.9's house.