About

Thursday 17 July 2008

When baby-brain attacks

Scene: Sitting at my OB's office post-miscellaneous check up whatevers.

OB, gesturing to the ultrasound machine "Right. Let's have a look"

Me "at ......?"

Both Allan and the OB look at each other and then turn identical cross-eyed looks on me ...

Me, thinking ... thinking ...

*click whirrrrrr*

Me "Oh!! The baby!!"

Yes ... because that's why we're sitting there in the first place.

Argh!

All I can say about the scan is thank goodness I can't feel the little blighter yet, and it's no wonder I keep puking. It was kicking and shoving and wiggling and turning in circles ... I felt a bit ill just looking at it. I have a funny feeling that I'd best appreciate peace and quiet in the bladder/kidney region while it lasts.

The placenta is still in a bad place (I don't suppose it was very likely it would have moved in all of about 5 days) but I'm seriously not caring in the context of having to give birth naturally to the giganta-baby. The OB's answer to my complaint about the size of giganta-baby was a very unsympathetic "If you wanted small genes, you should have found some" and then looked pointedly at the husband and smiled innocently at me. I wonder if it has occurred to him that there is plenty of time for me to spend his fee on new shoes ...??

Still, I should be grateful for small mercies - at least he chose to do my scan in a room that has a chair that can be lain flat for the scan, and then propels you back onto your feet again, instead of on a bed. There was a wee moment at the hospital the other day when the NT scan was done (I was lying flat on a bed) when the technician told me I could get up and I ... err ... couldn't. I tried to move and my back screamed and I ended up lying there flailing like an upside down turtle trying to roll over enough to roll off the side. Not a good look. It can't be that unusual though because she just leaned over and gave me a helpful, well-practised, shove.

And, for my irrational moment of the week ...

The glucose and protein monitoring side of the proceedings has begun, and I am now required to wee into a square pottley thing at every visit to my OB. The thing is that I have to go into the bathroom, wee into the square pottley thing and then just leave it on the table next to the loo. Seriously! I have to leave a square pottley thing of wee sitting on a table. All by itself. Just sitting there! For anyone to see! Wees! Argh! I was completely mortified!! Never mind that I've had entire medical teams gazing up my bits on a semi-regular basis over an extended period of time and thought little of it ... I have to leave wees sitting on a table!! Every. Time. I. Visit. What if someone else has to go in after me?? It's an OB's office! There are pregnant people everywhere! Pregnant people have to wee all the time! (Actually, come to think of it ... I don't think there has ever been a cross-over of people waiting to see the OB's. They time appointments very well. But, it could happen. One day. Maybe)

*Sigh*


Anatomy scan wherein we confirm that everything is as is should be with kiddly, and we find out if it's a pink one or a blue one - 20th August.

13 comments:

Nikki Elisabeth said...

Ah yes.

My midwife used to just get me to pee straight on the stick and then hand it over to her. I always felt verrrrry very weird handing over a urine soaked stick for her to handle. Poor woman.

Anonymous said...

It's almost as bad as peeing into the pottly thing, transferring it into a named test tube then having to sit in the waiting room holding said test tube until my appointment! Coats with pockets where a must on those days!!!!

Anonymous said...

Eeek, I remember that unable to get up after laying down problem very well! One afternoon when I was about 19 weeks pregnant me, Jono, my mum and her partner all went for a trip over to Devonport for lunch and a nice walk up North Head. It was a hot sunny day, and when we got to North Head the others went off for a walk, while I lay in the sun under a tree. About 20 mins later the bladder was calling, so I tried to get up. And I COULDN"T!! I was rolling around like a big rolly pregnant thing, and all these Japanese tourists were walking past with their Minoltas wondering what on earth they were looking at!

Aaaaah, the memories ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm picking that your power chucking days are almost over? Hope so . . . This is the very bestest part of the pregnancy coming up, good skin, stable hormones, and (usually) a nice increase in boob size. :)
FOURTEEN WEEKS BABY . . . nearly . . .

Simonne said...

Almost! And thank goodness for that. There was a rather nasty chocolate-related incident last week which I'm pretty sure has put me off chocolate for the next 6 months at least ... and No. 9 seemed to think for the whole of last week that it was very important that I know what every single cup of tea I had looked like in reverse ... but apart from that? All good!

The boob thing seems to have kicked in much to Al's delight - although I'm more inclined to think that extreme bra-related discomfort is more to do with an expanding rib cage than anything.

I can't believe it's 14 weeks. My OB said the other day when I left his rooms that the next time he sees me and No. 9 we'll be half way there. Mind blowing.

Anonymous said...

ooh, i used to hurl tea with katie, could only cope with coffee (that was before we got all the caffeine related warnings) . . . amelia hated chocolate. little trolls.
its going really quickly now those first few panicky weeks are over. the good thing about babies is that once they are established and being properly parasitical, they just take over your entire body and you have to grin and bear it. this is a little late, but you may enjoy the analogy . . .
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIgLN2lxMCI&sdig=1

Anonymous said...

been obviously rotating like a rotisserie chicken on speed for a few weeks before that - we kept reading her the material that said when we were SUPPOSED to be able to feel her.

These kids are foot tapping, finger rapping fidgets. Andrew blames Great-Grandfather Leach (Tony) who jiggled more than your average tea-bag. Now we have a baby who 'wheelbarrows' when we change evil nappies . . . and requires two people to hold her down and clean her up as she tries to butt-paint the entire house.

You are having a way bigger baby, who is shaping up to be even more evil . . . going by its behaviour so far. Again, I advise you to rest rest and rest again while you still can.

Anonymous said...

oops, i erased the start of the last comment . . . it went like this: Andrew felt Amelia move 3 weeks before all the books said that I would feel her . . . she had . . .

Simonne said...

That's exactly what it looked like on the scan actually - Grandpa jiggling in his seat. I swear that if the kid comes out jangling coins in its pocket it's going back for a refund. After I take the coins.

A seriously strange thing was the night before last, I looked down at my stomach and it was sticking out to one side. Even Al could see it with no trouble at all. It stayed that way overnight until kiddly obviously worked out how to get back into the middle again. No sense of direction. It gets that from me.

One thing I will love this kid for eternity for is that no matter how sick I've been, or what food I can or can't tolerate - it has ALWAYS appreciated a good flat white. Bless. (That and not putting on an ounce of weight in the first trimester ... a situation which will no doubt change dramatically. But, in the meantime - YEah!!!)

Anonymous said...

amelia didnt do flat whites, she, the pleb, liked macdonalds coffee. how embarrassing. uncle stewart arrived this morning from manila, so i am having fun watching the OTHER gene pool in its various stages of development. fun times!

Simonne said...

Tell him and Sheryl hellooo! and hugest hugs! We haven't heard any news though - has their IVF been successful or is it still in motion?

Anonymous said...

no joy as yet. sheryl has stayed in the phillipines to keep the process going, stewart says he has left 'ample genetic material' behind to help with that!!!

he is super happy to hear your news tho, and will 'view' the kiddly once he has risen from his supercoma - he is presently crashed out on our bed, while miss A sleeps in her new room next door. funny to see her and daddy and gr8 unkel stew together. v v cute in fact.

Simonne said...

Tell him I'm keeping everything crossed, obviously. It's a vile process, and I am so enormously glad that we only did it the once. I just hope their journey isn't too much longer.

A weird thing to add in a post regarding one's uncle but ... the husband and I had a disagreement about my new bra size and I'm having a complete sulk that he was right (I told him his size was bollocks based on the bigedness of it) and I'm sitting here with a bra that I ordered online and cannot squeeze into to save myself. Poop. Tricky pregnancy boobs.