About

Tuesday 2 September 2008

Things you know you shouldn't confess, but do anyway

A funny thing happened today.

I was looking for something at work, and said search led me to the bottom drawer in my desk which I don't go into often at all. Obviously.

In there was a jacket. A brand new jacket with the tags still attached. That I'd bought, ages ago. And forgotten about. Completely.

Woopsy daisy.

The thing is, I've never done it before, but obviously in a shopping frenzy (oh, no, not that. I have shopping frenzies plenty) I'd bought this jacket on impulse (and on sale incidentally, if that makes it better even a little bit? No? No. Didn't really think so), thought it was the coolest thing out but knew that I would be roasted alive if I took it home and tried to convince the husband of said coolness, on the basis that jacket it was, practical it certainly was not, and I didn't have the money to spend in the first place, so I stuck it in my drawer on the basis that I'd take it home in a couple of weeks.

Except I didn't. I forgot all about it. Which is really embarrassing, even for me.

Plus there was the slight problem in that I was looking at it now, in my drawer, thinking I'm never going to wear that. What I actually want and need is an anorak of some description and although the jacket in my possession fell into the 'of some description' category, it was a complete waste of money. I sincerely doubt it was even waterproof.

So. Dilemma. And what is a Ginger in a dilemma to do?

Stick it on Trademe and cross everything that the evidence disappears in the most financially acceptable way possible.

And bless, it did. 10 minutes and the same amount I paid for it later, I was free of the jacket, and able to admit my folly to the husband (had to - he'd have seen the emails! or the Trademe account or goodness knows what, he seems to have ways that I haven't figured out yet).

What a day!

I did find another jacket at lunch time though which is perfect ...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

man, you live on the edge don't you? all these financial shenanigans AND on an IVF programme as well. how the heck do you FORGET that you have blown money you never actually had in the first place, for a garment that you then NEVER wear, and take the trouble to hide (at your office - like Al is gonna find it there ANYWAY?)
i seriously think you need to get the kid either identity chipped, or electronically braceletted.

Simonne said...

I know. I boggles even MY mind.

Al was just saying last night that he thinks it's a good idea to write Cuinn's initials on his hand as soon as he arrives (in relation to a programme we were killing time vaguely watching which was about a baby-swap) ... maybe we should stick it on his leg and add his address as well?

Esther said...

RFOL. You always know how to make me smile!!
I wish I could get away with secret shopping...I know I'd never forget...sigh!

Esther said...

OK - got my letters in ALL the wrong order...but you know what I mean!!!

Anonymous said...

while you are at it, get yourself an electronic collar that buzzes you every time you overspend on the credit card. and tattoo yourSELF with address and phone number and other important details. if you are this, er, shall we say 'scattered,' before cuinn whooshes into the world, you are in serious doo doos once he does arrive. i lost my freakn mind, as chelsea refrained from pointing out this morning when she asked why my credit cards were in the fridge?

Anonymous said...

I have to tell you that I have never seen your blog before. I was online trying to find the different spelling of the name Quinn. And your website came up. We have 2 boys, both names start with the letter C - Carter and Cooper. When number 3 decides to come, we wanted to carry on the tradition of a C name, I know cheesey! A co-worker of mine has a daughter-in-law with the name Quinn and I absolutely love it. Then I saw that you are naming your little boy Cuinn. Love it!!!

Simonne said...

Ruth - that's what I need to do with my credit cards! Or rather, stick them in the freezer.

Carrie - Thank you! :-) And I wouldn't worry about cheesy ... first, everyone needs a little cheese in their life ;-) and second you're preaching to the converted - our 2 dogs and cat are Jack, Jess and Jazz. We just thought Cuinn being a James might be just a wee bit much. You get confused yelling the names after a bit!