About

Sunday 21 September 2008

This space cadet thing is BAD

I never really was the sharpest tool in the shed and it never reeeally bothered me, on the basis that sometimes a bit of vagueness is kinda nice and I do get there in my own time ... sometimes ... but still, even I'm starting to find pregnancy-related cottonwool-head a bit rough on it.

Someone told me that she thinks that it's a thing that happens to insulate you a little bit from hormone-related hypersensitivity to everything. Ergo, being completely dense helps to keep you on an even keel when said keel is prone to some pret-ty impressive wobbles. Kind of like being an idiot I suppose - just smiiiiile. Interesting what you talk about with a shop-assistant through a curtain while you're stuck in a top that looks absolutely fabulous on and is unbelievably comfortable, but starts off as a massive contraption with 4 arm holes (yes, 4 ... plus a head hole. I think. Or maybe 3 arm holes and a head hole... lotsa potential for getting stuck anyway) and really would be confusing to someone that wasn't a space cadet... Who knows?

Anyway, the point is not so much the why as the what. Focus. (Although thinking about it wouldn't it be better to just not have the hyper-sensitivity instead of space cadetness to counter the hyper-sensitivity...?)

...

Huh?

Oh. Yes. Focus.

Am focusing.

...

...

What on?

!!!

Right. Me. Away with the proverbial fairies. And you wonder why I'm not blogging much? It's because I honest to goodness can NOT string a sentence together. I'm everything short of drooling, I swear. OK, there's a little bit of drooling, but not much. Nothing you'd call an issue as such. And usually just while I'm sleeping. Niiiiice.

Anyway.

Focusing.

(You're going to be so disappointed when I actually get to my point, because there's really not much to it)

The husband and I are going to Queenstown for a long weekend in roughly two weeks and I'm so looking forward to it. Food, food and more food. Somewhere I've never been. A list of cafes under my arm so I can caffeinate my way around the ... ummm ... what is Queenstown? Village? City? Hello? Google? Ug. Who cares. I'll caffeinate my way around the place. There. We've got a lake view room at the Heritage (fuh-lash) AND we'll be meeting good friends and family down there so even better.

I seriously cannot remember where I was going with this now. Heh. Although, that does bring back a memory. I was said to someone the other day that pregnancy brain is far and away worse than drug-brain, and I'd thought drug-brain was pretty horrendous. It took a rather startled look followed by her mouth opening and closing looking for an appropriate response, and there wasn't one to be found as it happens, that I realised I've got far too comfortable with the world at large knowing about our IVF experience that I forget that some people don't know. Woopsy daisy.

Oh! Books! Yes! Actually, this seems a bit anticlimactic now, and I almost wish I felt inclined to pretend that I don't remember. Ah well. I thought I'd get a book to read for lazing in my hotel room and for those moments where my hippoesque self is stuck on the couch and I need to wait for Al to rescue me, except I honestly couldn't even concentrate on reading blurbs on the backs of books to decide on a book, which is making me grumpy about the space cadet thing.

See. I told you it was anticlimactic.

Sigh.

I did have a post which was actually quite clever but somewhere between typing and saving I deleted the entire thing. Bless.

Also, just on a completely different tangent, for those of you that receive the AECT dividend, does anyone else find it amusing that every year we get the statement to say that the dividend has been paid out (which is great. I love dividends. Especially when they're paid out on the same day as Ponsonby market day. Very excellent timing, and handy too), and in the same mail delivery, every time a coconut, you get a letter from the power company saying they're putting their prices up? Love it. Still, HA!!! to them ... I got all my washing done today without using the dryer. I even washed the dogs beds. Which the dogs are really pleased about - they won't go near them now because apparently it's extremely uncool if you're beds smell nice as opposed to doggy-manky. Yeesh.

(and sorry about the complete lack of posts. I'm quite serious when I tell you that my brain has honestly stopped working. I'll post a photo this week - kiddly is getting big!)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You wrote: "what is Queenstown? Village? City? Hello? Google? Ug. Who cares. "

Is the name - Queenstown - no help?

xsp

ps. I survived the stag party. Just. Much partying done, but plenty left to be done. Your husband is in for a TREAT when we hit Queenstown. He might want to take a few nanna naps this week. And learn how to handle his ale :-)

Simonne said...

Huh. You'd think it would be, but then I'd just had a nice big discussion with the world at large about the kidlet absorbing what little active brain matter I had so I forgive myself for being dense :-)

I did wonder slash hope it would be nice'n'messy, and funnily enough, the husband and I were having a discusion this morning about the likelihood that Queenstown will be spent with me and the gal-pal spending much time in cafes with the odd spot of shopping thrown in for good measure as we leave you wretches to sweat the booze out and recover on a daly basis (never fear, I do use the term 'recover' loosly). Interestingly, it'll be the first time in 10+ years, as in the first time since I met you 3 that I'll be back in the vacinity of snow and considering the state y'all were in then it's almost a bit poetic ... (Note to self - remember to pack the husband plenty of spare clothes.)

Anonymous said...

hmmmm, and you are still sleeping regular hours, n'est ce pas? i say wait until the broken sleep starts kicking in - words of more than two syllables will become unsurmountable obstacles, and small objects will disappear for good, altho we now know that our TV remote was 'recycled' by your swing-top rubbish bin loving niece, so we were not responsible for putting it in some obscure place because of non-functional brains in fogged state . . .

simonne say bye byes to her brain now, cos it aint nevuh nevuh coming back!

Simonne said...

Sleeping what? HOURS you say? I can't remember what it was like to sleep AN hour let alone hourSSSSS. Apparently I sleep on my back a lot more than I ever thought, and Cuinn has a severe objection to said back sleeping which means that I spend the entire night rolling onto my back in my sleep and he spends the entire night kicking furiously whenever I do because apparently babies don't like their blood supply being cut off. Who knew? *Yawn*