About

Monday 2 February 2009

The newborn shock

Woah baby!

I'd love to elaborate, but suffice it to say ... brain no go worser than when pregnant.

Lardo has, in 10 days, lost weight post-birth and already come back up and over his birth weight again - he's put on 180 grams in 3 days! The midwife is very happy with the wee piglet. No wonder I ate an entire lolly log over the weekend ... a girl needs her strength! The kidlet is most definitely going to take after his father on the size front (next time (yes, I know ... next time ... I cannot believe the husband and I have had discussions about next time) I'm going to see if they can just put half an embryo back). He also, disturbingly, pulls the same blardy facial expressions too ... I say 'disturbingly' because, unfortunately, the husband has a selection of looks he gives me under certain circumstances that pee me off to the core, and they're the same ones the kid is pulling. Ack.

Anyway, in lieu of intelligent (?) blogging, I have more pictures. You know you want to see them ... and if not ... well, stiff biscuits - my blog, my kid, my indulgence, yada yada yada (in the nicest possible way of course).

Oh ... and while I'm here ... for all those people asking what they can bring us ...? Thank you heaps and heaps and heaps! I'm all good for boob cream and breast pads and meals and housework, but if someone could go to Widdess on Ponsonby Road and pick up the black t-shirt with the blue peacock on the front that they had on sale ......? That'd be awesome. Size 12, I'd say ... (Heh) (What? Anything is worth a try once. Or twice.)

Bollocks. Muffles from the lounge are getting louder. Antenatal classes lied when they said newborn kidlets sleep for 16-18 hours a day. Blatantly lied. Very uncool.

OK. Pictures ... quick! (Thank heavens I managed to get a Nature Baby order through earlier - yay for online shopping)

Over and out! (Oh, and if the formatting is up the shite, I'll fix it later. Or not.)

See Uncle Dave? Hammock! Hammocks rock. Especially when dogs shove their heads in them for a sniff while kidlets are sleeping.

Looks angelic, doesn't he? Heh.

Happy tummy time. For about two and a half minutes.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh soooo cute! Love the hammock. They lie about the sleeping/pushing out etc so that you will do it once, and then once you've done it once, and seen the wee angel, they have you hooked!

Anonymous said...

He is so gingery and cute. I want to gobble him up! Smooch smooch smooch. Whoa. Clucky much? I better go refill my birth control prescription before I come visit you.

Anonymous said...

holy guacamole, is that an attempt to stand up or WHAT? yeah, the antenatal classes are complete poohs. what they MEANT to say was that THE PARENTS want to sleep 16 to 18 hours a day . . . until the kid is about 22 i think, then its all over. and then, like some of us, you get blardy pregnant again (past tense - not now!). useless fact for you - you need an extra 600 calories a day to breastfeed - so lolly log it up.
gorgeous lil man tho aint he?

Simonne said...

Ruth - that's EXACTLY what that is! We put him down and 10 seconds later he's trying to scoot himself along the floor. We nearly fainted. We've got BIIIG problems coming up methinks! He's incredibly strong.

The next kid is definitely getting the crappest diet I can manage in utero, that's for damn sure.

Anonymous said...

oh goodie. after the shock and trauma of little miss 'i know i can' doing all sorts of things that teeny weeny babies shouldn't ever manage, let alone attempt, i offer you hearty best wishes and advise you think of making benzodiazepines your new bff. we meet mothers with year old babies who can barely stand up (thats the babies, not the mums) while amelia launches herself vigorously off the top of the big kids blow up castley slidey things and we whisper 'help' to ourselves in broken exhausted voices.
we were ALSO told in ante natal classes that the caesar babies couldnt do the crawl up the tummy to feed because of the drugs. obviously neither amelia or cuinn were listening to that bit!!! she had a cot to scoot around, the hammock may keep him planted for a few days more. maybe.

good luck with that boy - i think he too may also be half chimp, so you are going to need it.

Anonymous said...

just wanted to say I love that you call your baby Lardo, thought I was the only one that gave my child un-cutey nicknames.
Nat (thunderwolves from OHbaby)

Anonymous said...

He is absolutely gorgeous and you are obviously doing a good job feeding him for that kind of weight gain. I say keep up the lolly log ;)
Looks like you have a very contented little man there despite the lack of sleeping

Julie ~Skyflame

Anonymous said...

He's so gorgeous Simonne I want to cover him in smooches.
Well done you!
Jo

Dave said...

grumble grumble mum never let ME sleep in a blardy hammock grumble grumble gonna have to hang one up in my apartment grumble grumble 35 years too late

Anonymous said...

He's still smooshable in my books!

Anonymous said...

oh dear lord, talk about gene pools . . . i just noticed that in the second photo, cuinn's nose is a dead ringer for the model currently adorning his uncle andrew's face . . . uncle andrew confirmed my observation. the schnozz never lies.