About

Friday 18 May 2007

Curse you taunting Elevit

I've had a box of Elevit (pre-natal vitamins, loaded with folic acid) sitting on my bench for a couple of months.

At the moment, I'm not taking them because, although I know I should be, supplements of any kind wreak havoc on my insides as a rule. Even the vicious concoction of disgustingness that a herbalist made up especially for me after my op last September, to help my 'womanly parts' find their equilibrium, ended up going down the sink. Not pretty.

Back to the Elevit though. I got to the end of my last cycle and thought to myself that there was little point in forcing the issue if nothing was happening in the pregnancy department. They cost a bomb and they make it known that they're floating around in my system in rather unpleasant ways. I will start taking them again, around 3 months before we start IVF - for IVF, I can put up with them. I'm going to be putting up with a lot worse than taking vitamins when the carpet rolls out for that one, that's for sure.

In the meantime though, I've been looking at that box of vitamins sitting on the bench and feeling the strangest thing. I've been trying to put my finger on it, and it finally came to me this morning as I sat glowering at them while eating my bagel (with cream cheese and strawberry preserve ... mmm) and enjoying my coffee (made by the husband, in case you're wondering. Since the woopsie over the inadvertant coffee-making-skill revelation, he's still made me more coffees than I've made him, so all is ok with the world for the moment).

I'm embarrassed. I'm embarrassed to see that box of vitamins sitting there, taunting me.

It's almost like that stupid box is saying to me "Why did you buy me again? Don't you realise that I'm a pre-natal and pregnancy suplement? I wish someone worthy had bought me instead so I could do something useful."

Which, yes, raises another issue entirely ...

I'm seeing talking boxes.

No comments: