About

Thursday 17 May 2007

Who's the boss of you?

Two of my big bosses are in town this week, and it's wreaking havoc on my blogging.

Honestly, how's a girl supposed to blog with blimming bosses popping out from doorways left, right and centre and arriving here first thing in the morning? Plus, I have a book review to do, and I keep having to drop it (the book) off the side of my desk and into my handbag - my bag is blissfully cavernous, so one flick of the wrist and I'm almost guaranteed that the book will land in it. But, that's not the point. The point is that I'm not getting time to do my personal stuff at work. I'm having to do work stuff at work.

That reminds me ...funny story about the handbag ...Al and I were going to the movies a few weeks ago, and before we left, I noticed him eyeing my handbag speculatively.

Here's the handbag, by the way, so you can visualise it ...

http://www.moochi.co.nz/models.asp?MODEL_ID=24

Then he says to me ...

Him "Heeeyy ..."

Me (suspiciously) "What?"

Him "You could fit a beer in there, couldn't you?"

Me " Uhhh...yes ..."

Him "Probably two, eh?"

Me "...yeeesss ..."

Him "And some chips?"

Me "...yeeeessssss ..."

Him "Excellent" and goes and starts collecting things to load into my handbag for the movie.

Me "Sooo ...You're seeing the value of the handbag now, are you?"

Him (pretends he's too busy collecting beer to answer, and therefore commit himself to a potentially financially hazardous position on my shopping)

Me again "Just think, you wouldn't be able to do this with my old handbag. You'd have had to have a crappy movie coke/unidentifiable sugary/bubbly liquid once we got there and pay $10 for it AND there'd be none of this chips business either"

Him (still trying to pretend he's busy, and makes a move to try and put stuff in my handbag)

Me (zips the bag closed and glares at him until he acknowledges what a good purchase the handbag was)

Him, after a standoff "Yes" and starts loading up the handbag.

Honestly, going in to the movies, I felt a bit like one of those drug traffickers (how do you spell that?) who strap heroin to themselves to then try and catch an international flight. Sort of. At a stretch.

Anyway, back to my whinge (nothing like veering wildly off topic and then trying to recover, hmmm?)

I really do prefer it when they're (the bosses, remember how before the random handbag story we were talking about my bosses?) back in the South Island, where they belong. Or at least just away from here. Far, far away.

This move (to Papakura) is doing my head in. It's an immensely bad idea and they know it's a bad idea, but they're forging on regardless for no sensible reason other than cutting off their noses because they don't want to back down, and they really don't want us (the Auckland branch) to be right. In fact, one of the bosses actually used the term 'hostile witnesses' at us the other day when we were trying to have a reasonable discussion about it all. I thought one of my reps was going to throw him through the window, I really did.

I started doing a list of reasons here why the move is such a bad bad thing (things in addition to the pro/con list I did a few weeks ago), but there are so many, I'd be here all day. We have no time frame, no information, customers screaming the place down, not to mention that staff members are quitting, and bearing in mind that there were only 5 of us to start with ...

It really is such a lot of fun.

The one and only (that I can see at this stage) positive thing that is coming from this, is that I am actually gaining an insight into the stress Al has been under the last couple of years at Air New Zealand with the staffing and morale issues, and the frustration of dealing with management who have their own agenda.

One more day till Friday. Phew.

No comments: