About

Monday 28 May 2007

Is it just me, or are even criminals getting lazy?

Work was broken into on Saturday night, and I'm really not sure why they bothered.

Firstly, it wasn't opportunistic. Choosing our premises might have been, but they were intending to break into somewhere. They even came with tools to get in - a crowbar and a drill at least.

But the thing is that there are 8 foot fences on 3 sides of our premises (the other side is the building, which is the fence), one is on the roadside, so not a good access or escape route, and the other is electrified with razor-wire along the top, so also not a good escape or access route. So, one way in and one way out, over an 8 foot fence. I don't know about you, but I'd be thinking twice while I was climbing over the fence.

I'd probably have stopped and had another think about it when I came face to face with Matrix stickers advising that the premises have a monitored alarm, and the blinking alarm box thing on the outside of the building sort of suggests that we're not lying about that.

But, they obviously figured it was worth a go, so came in, tossed the place and made a wicked mess, ripped out phone lines and cut wires to try and cut the alarm I guess, and yet the only thing they took was a knackered lap top and a camera that doesn't work either (the charger is apparently somewhere in England ...). They left alcohol, a PC (OK, so the computer box wouldn't have been worth the effort, but the lovely shiny flat screen might have been), TVs, a DVD player, and a stereo. Admittedly, it would have been a bit difficult to it all back over the fence, but that raises the question of why they broke in in the first place.

You could deduce that perhaps they were looking for cash or credit card information. It's a logical deduction ... except I had both sitting in the top drawer of my desk, which they went through quite thoroughly, and they didn't take either. I mean, seriously? Where was their dedication to the task?

If they were sniffers or knew some, a drum or two of our adhesive or solvent would have been a prize (the stuff honks), although, again, difficult to get over the fence - but there would have been at least 2 of them, so working as a team you'd think ...anyway. I had drums of both out of DG (dangerous goods) lock up, and they didn't look at those either. Who knows?

So all they really achieved was a mess. They did get the laptop, but they're soon going to find out that that was a complete waste of time.

I'll post a pic later.

No comments: