About

Wednesday 20 June 2007

Mouse, mice or mouses?

Yesterday I phoned up Office Max to order a new mouse for one of my reps. I wrote down the code, and ordered accordingly, only to be told that it was a deleted stock item. No worries, there were heaps to choose from. It was just that I hadn't written down the catalogue page that featured them all so I could choose another. So, I started to say "Oh, OK, what page are the ... " and stopped. Are the what? Are the mice on? Are the mouses on? Or should I have said, on which page can I find a mouse?

What is it when you are referring to a (computer) mouse in the plural? Not that it matters. I managed to order another one with that particular question still outstanding and unresolved.

Yes, I know. I possibly could come up with something a little better than that first thing on a dark, chilly Wednesday morning, but, last night, I shared a house with an extremely jet lagged 2 year old (just off a plane from England). This morning, I'm feeling a bit jet lagged myself, so I'm not even going to attempt to.

Still, when I crawled out of bed this morning with my eyes hanging out on stalks, I was greeted with the most beautiful smile and the simple exclamation "Aunty!". What's a girl to do? Fall in love all over again is what. Who needs sleep anyways?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hiya Simonne, This article from the herald made me think of your blog today!! http://www.nzherald.co.nz/column/story.cfm?c_id=702&objectid=10446661 ... read to about half way down, mouses!!

Anonymous said...

Needed to add: halfway as in eight lines down. If it is published in the herald, does that make it correct?

Simonne said...

Heh. Heheheh.

'Mouses' it is. Those newspaper people are never wrong.