About

Thursday 23 August 2007

Show me the money. Maybe.

Well, I had a big post, until I deleted it. Or, more accurately, Blogger had a spaz, and post went bye bye. But, what it basically comes down to is this...



I submitted my CV to a major NZ law firm, mostly to see what would happen and because the salary is reeeaaallllyyy nice (and it's in Manukau - just around the corner!!) and to my surprise, they appear to have picked it up and run with it. Oops. Or, not oops I suppose. It depends on whether you suck at making decisions. Which, I do. The thing is that it is an area of law I don't have a clue about, so it was more just an exercise in curiosity. How desperate is the legal community for legal secretaries? Except, now I'm interested. I can't help myself. Plus, it's Manukau ... literally, I'd only have to get up an hour before I start work. No traffic ... (Ooooo ... and it's corporate. That'll mean new shoes.)

And now, I'm scratching my head.

If it goes to the interview stage, and the indications are that it's going to the interview stage, I'm definitely going to follow it through. As I said, curiosity. It's just what I'll do if the job is offered. It's hugely, completely different for me, but is it an opportunity that I shouldn't pass up?

Yes, there is IVF, and that is a major consideration. Believe me, the job thing constantly curls back to that one, and I've thought of little else in relation to jobs. But, the other thing that we really have to remind ourselves, is that IVF could be any amount of time away. We haven't even been advised of when we can expect an orientation appointment. So, why should my and our life continue to be on hold? It's likely that I'm looking at a year plus before IVF becomes an issue.

Ah well. Watch this space. I'll let you know if I get called in for an interview. Apparently there is possibly someone in-house in the running, so you know what that means. There was a job at Meredith Connell I would have given my right arm for, but that went to someone in-house too, before the job was even advertised. Gotta love the big firms! Even HR didn't know about that one, or so they say. They're lawyers. It's just silly to trust them. (You can hear that I'm smiling affectionately as I type that, can't you?)

3 comments:

Nikki Elisabeth said...

Exciting S! New area could be very good. Gotta be better than your current job right?
I hope it all goes well. Onward and upward!
And yaaaaaaaaay for the new shoes. I can't wait to work properly and be able to buy lots and lots of pretty pretty shoes.
xoxox

Anonymous said...

Well, I don't know if you believe in signs or anything but as I read your post the Ally McBeal theme song came on the radio... go for it I say and take yourself off 'hold'.

Anonymous said...

It sounds exciting! I'd so go for it!!!